SD device/driver/reader problem

TiffanieMarie

So I have an SD card reader slot on my laptop, an Acer Aspire 3690, when I put a memory card into the slot, it doesnt read it or even acknowledge it. When I open My Computer it doesnt show up at all. I can see and read it on my pc, but seem to have trouble with it on my laptop, where I want to use it. I have searched for any kind of driver updates or downloads but haven't found any kind of solution or answer to what the problem actually is or how I can fix it. Can someone please help me?

Hi

if its an SD card reader then there is a size limit it can read, usually 512mb is the most, if the card is a 1gb or higher then it needs a SDHC reader which your PC probably has.

There's a slot on my laptop where I can insert the SD card from my camera. My laptop wont acknowledge that there is a card in there, or that the drive even exists.

Add to the advice above, if your SD camera card is 512MB / 1GB / 2GB it should show up in 'My computer' screen on your PC. But if it's 4GB or more it will be a SDHC card, and your PC may not be able to read it. If it can't , then you will need to buy a card reader that shows 'SDHC' on the packaging. As a guide, any made in 09/10/11 should read SDHC. It will have a USB connector.

Also if you use only SD & SDHC cards, and mobile M2/ microSD cards with SD adapter, then you can buy the cheaper single card reader, rather than the more expensive multi-card readers. See;
http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Memory-Card-Readers

Note that the card reader won't (normally) show in 'My computer' until there is a card in it. If a 1GB SD card will not show up, then it means you need to install the correct driver for the card reader, from your pc makers website, (Support/drivers).

Back