TechSpot

Seagate: 60TB HDDs possible with next-generation storage tech

By Matthew
Mar 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. It's increasingly rare for mechanical drives to make headlines, but Seagate is beating the PR drum over an advancement that promises to drastically increase the capacity of hard drives. Theā€¦

Read the whole story

2. Zeromus

Zeromus TS Enthusiast Posts: 231   +7

Yes. Finally, with capacities like that one hard drive in one system is enough for any individual. And scaling raid solutions have more headroom with 60 terabytes.

3. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 975   +99

Whoah now that is a nice number I must say!

'''''By 2030, a micro-SD card (or equivalent device) will have the storage capacity of 20,000 human brains.

By 2043, a micro-SD card (or equivalent device) will have a storage capacity of more than 500 billion gigabytes - equal to the entire contents of the Internet in 2009.*

By 2050 - if trends continue - a device the size of a micro-SD card will have storage equivalent to three times the brain capacity of the entire human race.'''''

http://www.futuretimeline.net/subject/computers-internet.htm#data-storage

4. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 641   +118

Woot. Now I can lose more data all at once in a colossal harddrive failure. But seriously, I would rather them focus on making these things more reliable. If I dont back up my stuff I lose it all. If I do I practically have to budget each month for replacing failed harddrives.

5. H3llion

That is very true as well. Id probably get two, one for backing up and another for storing dara, which would depend on the prices of these things.

6. Butch

Butch TS Enthusiast Posts: 112

This is great but instead of capacity increases they really should look at making them faster. Since I converted to SSD's and experienced the speed increase, I will never go back to HDD's. Then again, I really don't need 60TB capacities either.

Just seems to me that HDD's will be gone soon except in large server environments that need to store huge amounts of data. The rest will be SSD...

7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,966   +389

as soon as they get SSDs down to 50c a GB, im sold.

8. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 947   +113

Two of those in Raid 1 and your set for a nice while, looking forward to this tech to go mainstream.

9. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,711   +62

How long til we get a 1 tb ssd for 100$?

10. nah, the HDD makers are just trying to make SSD makers tremble in fear.

the SSDs will win in the storage wars.... "because if they can, then WE can, too"

this:

Quote:
    treetops said:
    How long til we get a 1 tb ssd for 100$?

11. Areal density is the biggest performance increasing aspect of mechanical hard drives, so the speed boost of a 60TB disk should be quite drastic compared the 1-2TB drives of today.

12. marinkvasina

marinkvasina TS Enthusiast Posts: 262   +9

ur wrong.
    SSD won't overtake HDD
    thats like saying AMD will be better than Intel.

13. @marinkvasina: Are you crazy or do you not know what an SSD is?

14. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

15. H3llion

5 years my guesstimate.

16. By 2020, MS and Google would have hosted practically all your apps in the cloud, leaving little room for personal HDDs.

17. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,270   +1,554

I think its you that is wrong but then thats my opinion and neither of us knows the future. To be honest, I can't believe you don't think SSD's are the future.

However in your statement, SSD's to HDD's are just as different as USB Sticks to Floppy's. The very same argument might have been said about USB Sticks taking over Floppy drives.

18. i agree with the guest above who thinks that ssd storage will win against hdd...

as we all recall, the preferred removable storage medium for data in a personal computer before is 5.4" floppy diskettes, then 3.5" floppy diskettes, then zip drives, then flash drives (and external hdds)

also the adaption of rom drives from the ordinary cd-rom drives to cd writers, to dvd-rom drives to dvd writers, then hd-dvd rom and blu-ray drives, to blu-ray writers.

maybe ssd prices will go down in the near future as the technology to increase storage in a particular device also increase.

and on this note, sales will show that tablet computers are hot nowadays and they don't have mechanical hard disk drives as storage.

19. Why is there always someone (Ranger12) that drones on about it being more data to lose every time there's a news article about hard drives? Should we all still be using 100mb drives instead, so you only lose 100mb at a time? Don't these people realise that larger capacity equals better redundancy and backup for the same amount of drives?

e.g. You've got about 4TB of data you want to store, you can span it across four 1TB drives, in which case you'll only lose a quarter of your data in the event of a hard drive failure, or you can stick it on four 4TB drives - two in a RAID array, and two backups, in which case if a drive dies you lose none of your data, and even if three of the drives go down you still lose nothing.

20. but they are slow!! stop manufacturing!
    lets ssd to evolve and and cheap.

21. marinkvasina

marinkvasina TS Enthusiast Posts: 262   +9

i never have and never will use an USB stick, its retarded.
    i'd rather carry an huge external HDD around.

SSD suck, HDD can increase its speed by the time SSD reaches a normal price.

22. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,528   +324

Have you ever used a decent SSD?

Anyway I do agree these will speed up reading and writing speeds on spinning HDD's.
    But you will never get the seek times as low as SSD's have it.

You've got to provide some evidence that SSD's "Suck"??

23. i prefer a fast 320 gb ssd against 5 tb hdd.

24. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 984   +89

60 TB? That sounds like a good place to store my DVD / BR collection for a household media server.

25. Does this have anything to do with the salt / sodium story?

If not, could the 2 technologies be combined?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.