Seagate adds BlackArmor NAS 400, ships sans storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Seagate has added the NAS 400 to its line of BlackArmor servers, which is already home to the NAS 110, 220, 420 and 440. The 400 is identical to the 420 and 440, except it ships without storage, giving you full control over what drives are installed. It supports up to 8TB of storage, Windows, Mac and Linux systems as well as RAID 0, 1, 5, 10, and JBOD configurations.

The BlackArmor NAS 4xx products have dual gigabit Ethernet, four USB 2.0 ports, four HDD bays, hardware-based encryption, remote access via any popular web browser, and various business-minded features. For instance, they ship with 10 licenses for backup software along with support for Active Directory 2003/2008 and up to 50 workstations.

Seagate is charging $400 for the NAS 400 and you should save a bit of cash by purchasing hard drives separately. The company tacks on between $200 and $300 for every 2TB HDD, which is far more than you'll pay for something like the Seagate Barracuda LP, Western Digital Caviar Green or similar "eco-class" drives.

Permalink to story.

If you plan on using the RAID capabilities of the NAS, you'd probably want to pick up drives that aren't "eco-class". This is because these drives will stop spinning and park themselves to save energy , which means that to access data, they got to spin back up. This delay can cause a RAID controller to label the drive faulty or unresponsive and degrade your array unnecessarily.

I really like the idea of these and have been wanting one for years... but they are still a bit too expensive I think and the drive capacities aren't high enough. I wanted a 8-bay one for under $500, but since that was (and still is) un-do-able, I just built a basic file server and used Linux.

Seriously what are you getting for this $400? I just can't imagine that a 4-bay NAS is worth that much cash.

Oh well... at least we're heading in the right direction, just seems a slowly progressing market.

Looks like Drobo now has some good competition. I'd like to see a price war break out, and the consumer win.

Guest, I think what you're getting on top of storage is the licenses to use their back-up software. Which I've seen and it's pretty easy to use and works well (at least in Windwos XP).

Well one should think for a sec. the drives that come with it are Enterprise drives (server grade) not consumer grade witch are way cheaper the server grades are designed to run 24/7 and have heavy traffic access 24/7 and won't fail no where near as often as consumer grades will so it is a quality over quantity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back