TechSpot

Seagate enters solid-state drive market with Pulsar

By Jos
Dec 8, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's been a long time coming but today Seagate finally entered the flash storage market with the launch of its Pulsar solid-state drive. As expected, the company is initially targeting the enterprise market, where it is already a big player and users are more likely to pay the price premium for higher speeds and longevity.

Read the whole story
  2. jgvmx

jgvmx Newcomer, in training Posts: 46

Thats good, the more players on the market the merrier. Hopefully as competitors increase the prices will go down a little, ssd are still a bit expensive.
  3. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

This shows that all the HD vendors think that SSDs hold a permanent place in the world of storage. Hopefully they all take this seriously and put real effort into the production of SSDs rather then just trying to slap something together.
  4. levar

levar Newcomer, in training Posts: 232

I hope so, thats good new to my eyes.
  5. These things have limited write cycles though, right? I know they'll probably last a long time, but I still have hard drives from the 80s that still work perfectly. These are still new technology so I suppose no one knows exactly how many writes they can take before they start to die, but is there an estimate on it?
  6. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 579   +32

Well with bigtimer Seagate officially joining the fray it seems SSDs will indeed improve and soon!
  7. lfg18

lfg18 Newcomer, in training Posts: 86

I totally agree with you, what we need is to get lower prices, and with more competitors we will also see more improvements in this devises so we will have lower prices more storage and better read and write speeds
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.