Seagate HD not recognized in my computer

My Seagate 1Tb hard drive has connected to my girlfriends pc and is recognised in 'devices and printers' and also in 'disk management', however I am unable to view it in 'my computer'. I have tried to rename it but the computer says the operation failed due to the disk management console not being up to date. I have restarted the computer and the disk manager but both have failed. The Seagate hard drive work perfectly fine on other computers but I can't work out why it doesn't on hers.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks kris

What OS? Can you manually enter the drive letter in the address bar? (Get the letter from disk manager)

It's running vista. This computer has recently been fully formatted and windows reinstalled. I have never connected the computer to this hard drive before. Also all other drives seem to work fine except this Seagate one. Like I say I can see the hard drive in disk management but there is no path(letter) assigned to it so therefore my computer cannot see it.

Have you tried assigning a drive letter for the volume using Disk Management? I have had drives show up in disk management that did not have a drive letter assigned to the volume. Its easy to assign a drive letter, right click on the volume for the context menu. The context menu will have an option for assigning drive letters. You even have an option to mount a volume as a folder instead of a drive letter, if that is what you would prefer.

For a side note;
I have also had volumes that Windows 7 would not assign drive letters for. I took the easy way out and allowed Windows 7 to format the drive, after using a Windows XP machine to backup the contents. Don't ask me why Windows XP would mount the volume and Windows 7 wouldn't, because I wouldn't even know where to start troubleshooting.

Clifford,
I have tried to do this but comes up with the message 'disk management is not up to date, please refresh the disk management console or restart your computer.' To which I tried both and it still didn't work. I cannot afford to format the drive either as it has alot of work that I require.

Ohh sorry folks its windows 7 not vista.

Like I say on all other machines I've tried (xp, vista) it's worked fine but this 7 machine seems not to like it.

Back