TechSpot

Seagate introduces 5,900RPM Barracuda Green drives

By Jos
Dec 15, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Seagate has been keeping busy lately following its unfruitful buyout talks. Hot on the heels of announcing the industry’s first enterprise-grade 1TB 2.5-inch hard drive, the company is revealing what it claims is the highest-performance eco-friendly internal drive for low-power PCs, multi-drive home servers, NAS drives, and external PC storage.

Read the whole story

2. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

Both Seagate and Western Digital are now offering these "Green" drives which seem to be marketed for data storage rather than as boot drives. Seagate is, at least, declaring the actual speed of the drive while Western Digital has made no such declaration for their Caviar Green HDs.

3. lchu12

lchu12 TS Enthusiast Posts: 199   +9

I think they is a "assumed" thinking about the speed of these green drives. Where technology ethusiast know these guys go around 5400RPM, online retailers on the other hand put 7200 RPM for the green drives, even though nothing is "posted" on the manufacturer's website.

4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,524   +324

If you check the spec sheet on the Western Digital website it gives you the speed of all there drives on there.

5. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

Checked the Western Digital website again just now. Specification for Caviar Green drives under the heading Rotational Speed = IntelliPower. No explanation what that means.

6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,976   +955

They spin at whatever speed they believe they need to, up to 7200 RPM. I think. They're very bright, they have microprocessors in them. You can buy 2 and run them in RAID ?.....:rolleyes:

7. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,524   +324

"IntelliPower
    A fine-tuned balance of spin speed,
    transfer rate, and caching algorithms
    designed to deliver both significant
    power savings and solid performance.
    Additionally, WD Caviar Green drives
    consume less current during startup
    allowing lower peak loads on systems
    as they are booted."

there you go, was on the website, Points go to Captain on this one :)

8. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 830

Not sure if this question is rhetorical, but green drives are normally a bad choice for RAID, as they have slower spin up times and often will be marked defective by RAID controllers.

I'd have to side with fpsgamerJR62 on this one. That description is about as full of marketing jargon and absent of technical statistics as it can get.

9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,976   +955

Unless you actually know of a RAID mode >> "?" <<, then you can safely assume that was a joke.

As to "Intellipower" and the rotational speed of these drives, it's exactly what I said it was, "up to 7200 RPM". The beginning speed is 5400RPM. These specs were pitched when the first "Caviar Green" was released.

So yes, it may be a bit of a hunt, but the rotational speed of these drives is posted on WD's website; http://support.wdc.com/product/kb.asp?wdc_lang=en&fid=wdsfCaviar_Green

10. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 830

Ah.. that makes so much more sense. I thought the "?" was an actual punctuation of a question and not a place holder, which had me pretty confused.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.