Seagate intros mobile wireless HDD for iOS, Android devices

By Jos
May 16, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Seagate has announced an interesting new addition to its GoFlex range of external storage devices. Dubbed GoFlex Satellite, it's the first battery-powered hard drive to wirelessly connect to any Wi-Fi-enabled…

Read the whole story
  2. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TechSpot Booster Posts: 996   +36

a built in battery?

This is an interesting idea... glad to see you can still plug it in.. does this connection also charge the battery?
  3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,119   +51

It's the most logical thing that it does.

This looks amazing, though it's clearly aimed at a niche because the "Hey you can also plug it in" for a hundred and fifty extra dollars doesnt seem quite... attractive.
  4. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 1,974   +51 Staff Member

I'd think so too but it doesn't explicitly says so on the product page:

5. Can you swap out the battery to replace or upgrade the battery pack? That the question.
  6. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,119   +51

Tried to check the data sheet but it linked me to a 404.

Would make it a little less fun to play with if you have to be tied to charging it into the wall =(
  7. Uvindu

Uvindu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 153

Well, I'm sure Apple will not be so happy with this. If this catches on, then apple may see a decline in the number of higher capacity iPad's. One of apple's schemes is to restrict the amount of storage on each device forcing users to pay way more than they should just to get a few extra gigabytes ($100 Extra for just 16GB more).

The advertising statement seagate uses. "No longer will a consumer feel as though it is a compromise to purchase a lower capacity tablet or iPad", should be enough to put a frown on Steve Jobs face, and I won't be surprised if Apple somehow finds a way to make this method of storage less convenient. Think about it:

16GB iPad: $499
    32GB iPad: $599
    64GB iPad: $699

16GB iPad + Seagate HDD (Total of 516GB) : $699

It is better value for money to just buy the 16GB iPad and the Seagate HDD than buying a 64GB iPad.

ie. Loss of revenue for apple, and the sound of Steve Jobs weeping.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.