Seagate launches new Momentus XT hybrid drive

Jos

Staff

Seagate has begun shipping the next generation of its Momentus XT solid-state hybrid drives, improving upon its predecessor with faster speeds and increased capacity. Whereas the original drive featured a 500GB HDD paired to 4GB of SLC NAND flash and a SATA 3.0 interface, today's update brings a maximum storage capacity of 750GB, with 8GB of SLC NAND flash, and a faster SATA 6.0Gbps interface.

Much of the underlying technology is similar, but Seagate has tweaked its hybrid data management tools and adaptive memory algorithms to boost performance. The latter monitors what applications and data are first loaded into a system and then "learns" to place that data on the SSD for faster read speeds.

seagate momentus

Besides these enhancements, Seagate has added what it calls FAST Boot, which cuts a computer's boot time in half compared to the previous generation Momentus XT. The feature basically sets aside a small portion of the solid-state cache for data used during the boot process, where it will remain for the life of the drive, so that your system always boots from flash and not the Momentus XT's spinning disk.

All in all Seagate says the new Momentus XT drive should be around 70% faster than the first iteration, and up to three times faster than traditional HDDs. The 750GB drive is now shipping worldwide with a MSRP of $245.

Permalink to story.

The drive is now shipping at $245, for what size drive? sounds like they have improved these quite a bit, will wait to see some reviews though.

Yep, it's $245 for the 750GB version. The original price was supposed to be set at $189, but apparently was raised in light of the HDD shortages.

Wow, I like this. This is something I would have done if I would have thought of it first.
How about making a magic cable that hybridizes my SSD with my existing hardrive? It would probably cost $246.00 tho...

we used a lot of the 320GB XT drives this year to upgrade all our Lenovo laptops from their original 5,400rpm models. Massive difference in boot times with XP and actual day to day use in the office and travelling/hibernating. Win 7 systems were slightly better with the hybrid drives. Good solution if you can't stretch the budget for SSD's.

Will get one of the new ones when the prices stabilise, sounds very promising, my Win 7 laptop would like these.

Back