Seagate launches new Momentus XT hybrid drive

By Jos
Nov 29, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Seagate has begun shipping the next generation of its Momentus XT solid-state hybrid drives, improving upon its predecessor with faster speeds and increased capacity. Whereas the original drive featured a…

Read the whole story
  2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,885   +640

The drive is now shipping at $245, for what size drive? sounds like they have improved these quite a bit, will wait to see some reviews though.
  3. herpaderp

herpaderp TS Booster Posts: 150

Uh yeah nvm. Hope that price is for the 750GB and not a smaller drive.
  4. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 2,638   +86

Yep, it's $245 for the 750GB version. The original price was supposed to be set at $189, but apparently was raised in light of the HDD shortages.
  5. Chazz

Chazz TS Evangelist Posts: 668   +72

Are you guys gonna review this drive? I'm very interested in the results.
  6. Gars

Gars TS Booster Posts: 222

same here - interested and waiting for review :)
  7. Ubwarcher07

Ubwarcher07 TS Rookie

Just recently bought the first gen 500gb too >.< But definitely interested in the benchmarks for these.
  8. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,106   +1,376

9. Chazz

Chazz TS Evangelist Posts: 668   +72

I prefer techspot reviews! :)
  10. Placeholder

Placeholder TS Rookie Posts: 21

Wow, I like this. This is something I would have done if I would have thought of it first.
    How about making a magic cable that hybridizes my SSD with my existing hardrive? It would probably cost $246.00 tho...
  11. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 428   +44

It sounds good ! Review asap pls TS. I prefer ur reviews too
  12. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,926   +185

Placeholder; There already are such devices, none fit in a laptop though of course...
  13. we used a lot of the 320GB XT drives this year to upgrade all our Lenovo laptops from their original 5,400rpm models. Massive difference in boot times with XP and actual day to day use in the office and travelling/hibernating. Win 7 systems were slightly better with the hybrid drives. Good solution if you can't stretch the budget for SSD's.

Will get one of the new ones when the prices stabilise, sounds very promising, my Win 7 laptop would like these.