Seagate Momentus XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

grvalderrama

I'm looking forward to buying a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB, and I wanted to know if it can be use both in desktops and notebooks??
In Seagate's page says nothing about if it can be used in desktop computers... And I'm not a notebook fan...

Thanks!

Looks like it works in laptops only. Perhaps you can get a usb 2.0 enclosure and use it as a usb drive in a desktop, but booting from it would be a nono in a desktop due to red tape. The usb 2.0 enclosure would be slow also as usb 3.0 enclosures are barely out and you wouldn't fully take advantage of its speed with usb 2.0. I recommend NOT using it in a desktop.

Humm... but, why cannot be used on a desktop computer?? Is there some software impediment? The cables wont match with SATA and power supply connectors?? There's no place for it to install it in the case?

In seagate's page says that is "perfect for replace or expand your desktop drive capacity" but it says it's for notebooks.... I'm confused...

Thanks for answering!

Depends on the case, and the setup.
In general, the momentus works in a laptop and the Seagate Barracuda's and other models work in the desktop. But it is possible to buy a Caddy or a frame or enclosure that allows the laptop size hard drive to fit in a Desktop slot, and cables that work on the board and hard drive... then it a laptop drive will work like a charm, once you stumble through the setup.

Why won't it work in a desktop?

My Crucial SSD is a 2.5" version, running in a PC. I see absolutely no reason why it shouldn't work in anything, as long as the PC is capable of supporting its interface (e.g. you have SATA ports).

Besides the physical size difference it connects and runs no different to a desktop hard drive. You just need a 3.5" frame, or brackets to mount it like normal. I paid a couple of quid for mine from ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back