Search for unanswered posts

DonNagual

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but some forums have a search function that brings up all unanswered posts.

Any chances of getting one like that here?

Well I think that would need a flag system where posts could be flagged as "answered" & the others as open. That would mean going through all the existing posts & flag them. :p

I'm not sure anyone wants to have to do that.

I don't know if this forum's software has the function, but for example in Tom's Hardware forum there is a "view unanswered posts" button.

Just an idea to help us help those who get missed in all the madness ;)

We can just hope the ones who really need help bump threads. There would be no point in digging up months-old "problems" and "solving" them - the original author has most likely left for good or found a solution somewhere else.

Besides, often it is impossible to tell if a problem was solved or not - many people don't bother to respond and one can only guess what the outcome was.

Nah. I wouldn't use it to respond to dead threads, that's not what I am talking about.

Anyways, seems this is a dead end.

Cheers anyways!

Didou said:
Well I think that would need a flag system where posts could be flagged as "answered" & the others as open. That would mean going through all the existing posts & flag them. :p

Already flagged? Would "Replies = 0" work? With a 1 week time limit on the search.

Hem.. If that is what you want then just choose Advanced search and select to search for threads with at most 0 replies since one week ago. Search with no keywords.

might need something

I can understand Don's reasoning. Case in point: some poor guy posted in mobos, chipsets, etc that his e-machines such n such had died but for clicking. I read it, nobody else had responded, and I tried to help- but I don't know anything!! I know it wouln't show as "0 responses", but his post lists 29 viewers, but I was his only help, and I don't know anything!
It would be nice to have some way to know if an actual expert had responded in some way. I'm sure it would be impossible, but I just feel so sorry for guys like that.
nuff said. :knock:

Thanks Don

This thread ought to count as another 10 votes for Don as Palladin.
Thank you Don. In the past I might even have had such an unanswered post.
Just this morning in my meager efforts to win the giveaway I found one a couple of days old and did my best to help. Your help (those who know more than me) would be for more desirable than mine.
Happy New Year to all

This is not a standard feature on vBulletin but might prove useful, depending on what it will take to implement it. Thanks for the feedback, I should be posting updates on my findings soon.

On a similar request by an user sometime ago, we added the "My posts" link on the vBulletin menu, which shows all your latest posts, helping track where you posted recently.

Ok, I have now implemented an unanswered posts feature in the forums, please check it out under the Quick Links menu in the vBulletin menu bar.

Let me know how it works for you.

I am having a hard time finding this new button. I went into "Quick Links" but don't see it there.

I appologize in advance if it is sitting right in front of my face.

ummm

DonNagual said:
I see it now, GREAT! I swear it wasn't there before. :blush:

Thank you for adding this! I love it already.

Just scanned the first 15 pages- no replies yet? Some probly gave up on TS as unresponsive? :suspiciou

I think it is acceptable to have a certain number of unanswered posts. Sometimes people ask questions on very specific topics, and there simply is no one here who CAN answer. Sometimes the question is so poorly put forward that it is unclear what they are asking.

But I am sure that sometimes people do get lost in the hussle of this forum. I hope the new "unanswered posts" link will help to eliminate a few, but I don't expect it to eliminate them all. It is the nature of the beast.

I suppose, that this issue could be resolved with a khmm... (much hated word now) a user policy - that is, if the author of the post finds the issue resolved he/she could edit the thread adding "SOLVED" to the topic.

Back