"Search protocol host stopped working" Windows Vista

billyd

Ok I should also say the "search protocol host stopped working" pop up happens right after boot up ! IE9 starts up but when I go to a sight it acts like its there but the screen is blank !
tried this but its not working http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...er-stopped-working-and-was-closed-138952.html

posting this with google chrome because IE9 is not working !

I just noticed the windows spider sol and windows freecell sol are coming up blank screen also :D

any help would be apprciated thanks bill

A friend at work experienced the same problem on his PC. Turns out he had a corrupt indexing file. You could try posting the details from Event Viewer, if that is possible. I wouldn't be able to help you interpreting them, but maybe some of the more experienced members could.

[FONT=Calibri]Have you tried disabling Windows Search? I did this on my friend's PC as a temporary measure . Got IE working, although searches were rather slow. It isn't a solution, but it could afford you a temporary -- albeit inconvenient -- workaround. [/FONT]

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Stick around, though, and wait for inputs from the more knowledgeable members.
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]

Tried the disable thing it stopped the pop ups but IE & the solitaires still wouldn't work!

I ran sfc scannow followed by combofix ! seems to have fixed the problem still haven't tried everything though !

I can post the logs if anyone knows how to interpret them & wants to see!

Glad to hear you seem to be getting closer to a solution. :)

For good measure, you might want to have the guys over at the Virus and Malware Removal section have a look at the logs. They're pretty good at what they do. ;) You might be asked to do a couple more scans.

Back