TechSpot

"Search protocol host stopped working" Windows Vista

By billyd
Dec 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Ok I should also say the "search protocol host stopped working" pop up happens right after boot up ! IE9 starts up but when I go to a sight it acts like its there but the screen is blank !
    tried this but its not working http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...er-stopped-working-and-was-closed-138952.html

posting this with google chrome because IE9 is not working !

I just noticed the windows spider sol and windows freecell sol are coming up blank screen also :oops:

any help would be apprciated thanks bill
  2. Dawn1113

Dawn1113 TS Booster Posts: 375   +64

A friend at work experienced the same problem on his PC. Turns out he had a corrupt indexing file. You could try posting the details from Event Viewer, if that is possible. I wouldn't be able to help you interpreting them, but maybe some of the more experienced members could.

Have you tried disabling Windows Search? I did this on my friend's PC as a temporary measure . Got IE working, although searches were rather slow. It isn't a solution, but it could afford you a temporary -- albeit inconvenient -- workaround.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Stick around, though, and wait for inputs from the more knowledgeable members.
    billyd likes this.
  3. billyd

billyd TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 60

Tried the disable thing it stopped the pop ups but IE & the solitaires still wouldn't work!

I ran sfc scannow followed by combofix ! seems to have fixed the problem still haven't tried everything though !

I can post the logs if anyone knows how to interpret them & wants to see!
  4. Dawn1113

Dawn1113 TS Booster Posts: 375   +64

Glad to hear you seem to be getting closer to a solution. :)

For good measure, you might want to have the guys over at the Virus and Malware Removal section have a look at the logs. They're pretty good at what they do. ;) You might be asked to do a couple more scans.
    DragonMaster Jay and billyd like this.
  5. billyd

billyd TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 60

Did that and ran there scans! waiting on there input!

thanks Dawn

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.