Sears launches movie download service Alphaline Entertainment

By Matthew
Dec 28, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Think there's room for another player in the video streaming business? Sears believes so, announcing its movie download service today, Alphaline Entertainment -- though it's not an entirely new offering. Sears has licensed the RoxioNow platform from Sonic Solutions, the same firm that Best Buy partnered with last year to ship electronics with its (RoxioNow-powered) CinemaNow service.

Read the whole story
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Seriously....SEARS??? I don't see this taking off at all.
  3. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 892   +52

Actually if any company has a chance of selling streaming technology to people over the age of 50 it's Sears.
  4. Renrew

Renrew TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 235   +17

Not at those prices.
  5. example1013

example1013 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 280

Sears' prices for anything but home appliances are awful. I got a fridge there, and while at the store looked at TVs. They were all 720p, and I made an offhand remark about Best Buy tvs being 1080p. So the guy in the store went on basically a diatribe about how below 44", your eyes can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

Problem is, the tvs in Sears looked lower quality, and were still more expensive. Basically, I was looking for an excuse to leave the tvs alone, since I wasn't about to drop an extra $10-50 for an inferior tv.
  6. Is it just a coincidence that I'm seeing THREE Netflix ads on the same page as this article, and a fourth Netflix ad on this page where I'm typing my comment? lulz.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.