Second monitor HDMI no signal

I have recently hooked up two Samsung Syncmaster 2243s to my HP Compaq laptop at work (waiting on an email for the specific model for the Compaq and Nvidia Quadro video card). Unfortunately, the second monitor says "Check Signal Cable" and will not display anything. Here's how I have it set up:

The first monitor is hooked up to the laptop on the VGA port and works fine. I have used extended display with my laptop screen and Syncmaster with no trouble. I hooked up the second monitor to the HDMI port in my laptop with a DVI-HDMI cable. At no point (eg. when restarting) does the monitor show anything but "Check Signal Cable".

I have updated my drivers (windows and Nvidia) and tried removing my display adapter and restarting, forcing the computer to reinstall the drivers. I have rebooted with the second monitor attached and unatatched with no luck.

The key point is that the computer recognizes the second monitor (with the Nvidia control panel I can turn off the laptop screen and set both monitors as my extended display - second monitor still says no signal although the first monitor, which works, behaves as if it were part of an extended monitor). Further, the second monitor works normally, as it was used on a previous laptop via VGA. What could cause the "no signal cable"? I did buy a second DVI-HDMI cable with the same result. Any help would be most appreciated.

typically, dual monitors is not done with VGA, or if so, is implemented using a 'Y' cable.

A video card built to support dual video out is usually DVI with Y or two DVI ports on the card.

The implication being that the video card does not support dual monitors, even when not using the laptop screen? I had considered that, but assumed that because a) I wasn't using the laptop screen it would work and because b) the Nvidia software permitted me to use two monitors but not three.

Will a vga Y cable allow for dual monitors then? The video card does not have a DVI out, but by it nature being a laptop I wasn't concerned.

A basic question (just to make sure) did you change the input source selection on your Samsung monitor from PC to HDMI when you switch from VGA to DVI-HDMI?

Back