Secondary drive is "exact" clone of primary....

By mdexter2
Jun 3, 2006
  1. so what I would like to know, is how to get everything (programs and ALL), to reference only the secondary drive (which in my case is the J: drive), while I am on the J: drive?

As it stands now, since the secondary is an exact duplicate of the primary (MBR and all), the programs and everything on my secondary drive still point to the C: drive. How can I get everything to point to just the J: drive?

Or is this not possible since a new MBR was not created for this drive to begin with? BTW, a friend did this clone job for me and thanks in advance for any possible help.
  2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

Exactly how did your friend perform the Clone? Eg. using software like True Image?
    If this is the case ; you boot to the True Image CD and using the program to Format the Primary dirve and transfer everything to it from F:\.
  3. mdexter2

mdexter2 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

Thanks for asking Liquidlen. He used Linux to clone my primary OS to my secondary drive. He copied everything including the MBR. I just wonder if there's a way to get the cloned drive to stop relying on the primary drive.

I know that in the BIOS, normally when you switch to a secondary drive it will become the C: drive on reboot, right? And the primary would temporarily become whatever the secondary was. Well mine doesn't perform a switch of the drives because of how he did things. It remains the J: drive with all programs pointing to the C: drive in order to run/function.

So this prevents my having a totally separate, complete and independent backup of my OS which is what I wanted.

I don't know what to do now because my friend said that this is the best he can do. I guess I was just looking to see if there are manual things that could be done in the registry or something, to make the secondary drive its own entity. And I have absolutely no experience cloning anything. Thanks for your help though. I'll figure something out one way or another!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.