Secondary drive is "exact" clone of primary....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdexter2

so what I would like to know, is how to get everything (programs and ALL), to reference only the secondary drive (which in my case is the J: drive), while I am on the J: drive?

As it stands now, since the secondary is an exact duplicate of the primary (MBR and all), the programs and everything on my secondary drive still point to the C: drive. How can I get everything to point to just the J: drive?

Or is this not possible since a new MBR was not created for this drive to begin with? BTW, a friend did this clone job for me and thanks in advance for any possible help.

Exactly how did your friend perform the Clone? Eg. using software like True Image?
If this is the case ; you boot to the True Image CD and using the program to Format the Primary dirve and transfer everything to it from F:\.

Thanks for asking Liquidlen. He used Linux to clone my primary OS to my secondary drive. He copied everything including the MBR. I just wonder if there's a way to get the cloned drive to stop relying on the primary drive.

I know that in the BIOS, normally when you switch to a secondary drive it will become the C: drive on reboot, right? And the primary would temporarily become whatever the secondary was. Well mine doesn't perform a switch of the drives because of how he did things. It remains the J: drive with all programs pointing to the C: drive in order to run/function.

So this prevents my having a totally separate, complete and independent backup of my OS which is what I wanted.

I don't know what to do now because my friend said that this is the best he can do. I guess I was just looking to see if there are manual things that could be done in the registry or something, to make the secondary drive its own entity. And I have absolutely no experience cloning anything. Thanks for your help though. I'll figure something out one way or another!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back