Secure Rom

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonylukac

I just built a new vista computer and always wanted to run games on it like all of you, but I was wary of sony's secure-rom which disables the dvd burner when some games are installed on the pc. Disabling the burner, which I use for backup, is simply unacceptable and should be challenged in court. Every cloud has a silver lining, and I found the solution. It's rather technical, but not for all you pc builders. All you have to do is install microsoft virtual pc on your machine and install your os to it . Then install the games on the virtual pc, and the host os's burner will not be disabled. Windows 7 even allows you to mount the virtual disk to windows explorer in the host os, thus defeating the purpose of this unconstitutional secure-rom fiasco.

As an update, I tried microsoft virtual pc 2007 with vista and it's pretty crappy. The aero interface doesn't even work, so how would complex games render? An alternative would be to install an os in a seperate partition for gaming to allow the cd/dvd burning functions of the other os to function. The virtual pc is useful for getting older (windows 95) software (games) to work only.

This Sony disabling of the burner... What is their intended purpose. I have never heard of this till now?

Yes, secure rom disables burners when installing some games. Try your burner lately? They are trying to prevent copying, but I don't see the logic in it since the game has registry entries, etc. that aren't copyable. As a clarification, you can actually copy whatever they didn't want you to copy on a virtual machine, but you likely can't play the game. The worst of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back