TechSpot

Security Center reports more than one anti-virus program

By Habylab
Dec 6, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This isn't a problem, but I have this in the virus section of the Security Center, and I just want to have it report the one ant-virus program that I have, Norton Internet Security.
    I think it may have something to do with Spyware Doctor...
  2. CCT

CCT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,556

3. Habylab

Habylab Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 307

Thank you, I will give that a go, will report back with results!
  4. Habylab

I have done that now, and Security Center is now reporting that no anti-virus nor firewall is running, so i have had to tell it that I am monitoring it, to stop it from pooping up. Can I fix this, because Norton is clearly running in the taskbar, even thought it isn't picked up to start at start-up only the service is.

EDIT: Just noticed something else Norton related. LiveUpdate is showing up twice in add/remove programs, with different versions. This may be due to installing an update that I saw, that wasn't installed, that hasn't gone over the original. I think Internet Security has a separate one, because when i run the other one, it doesn't detect Internet Security.
  5. CCT

If you rebooted and Norton isn't detected as 'running' or 'installed' by Security Center, just stay offline and uninstall Norton, reboot, reinstall.

Me, I'd use the Norton removal tool they provide for the uninstall.
  6. Habylab

You can only install it 3 times, but It is worknig fine now, I ma keeping it how it is.
  7. Habylab

How do I fix the problem in my edit in the my second from last post?
  8. CCT

You can edit the registry and remove that entry;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310750

As a side not, go into Control Panel Admin Services and turn OFF Security management and Security Center.

Reboot.

Turn them back on.

Reboot.

Any difference in the status of the Norton detection?
  9. Habylab

Done that, but Norton doesn't show up now, nothing does.... How do I make it show up?
  10. CCT

11. Habylab

I have 2009, the latest internet security one.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.