TechSpot

Security concerns using Yahoo! messenger

By Pazuzu
Sep 19, 2005
  1. I would like to know if using instant messenger & webcam with Yahoo poses any increased security risks. I think I read somewhere that there are real safety issues with msn messenger due to the nature of the software. I am just up-grading to Windows XP & trying to follow all the security advice from www.techspot.com/vb/topic31474.html "Prevent infections by making windows more secure..." but there is little point in following such advice if I will jepordise it by using unsecure software.
    I will be getting a DSL cable router & using an ntl broadband cable connection.

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

The biggest threat IM programs pose is the user blindly trusting a message from a "friend" and opening malicious links/files. Do not open anything before asking what it is - it could be malware on your friend's computer sending you stuff.

Other than that, YIM is no bigger threat than any other internet application. Just use common sense. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.