Solved Security Tool Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoopimonster

hey all,

I'm having a problem with my sister's ASUS laptop. Accidently, she contracted the "Security Tool" virus. I've been searching the net for a way of removing it, but all sites either ask me to download and pay for a new virus detector or ask me to manually remove it, but I can't even get past the first step!

It asks me to stop the following processes:
- Security Tool.exe
- uninstall.exe
- 4946550101.exe
But I can't find any of these processes on the task manager. The closest I can get to is 47971735.exe.

My sister's computer is currently running Windows XP Professional and is using Microsoft Forefront Security.

Would really appreciate any help I can get to fix this. Re-formatting is really last resort.

Welcome to TechSpot, whoopinmonster, I'll help with the malware. But first you have to give me something to work with.

Please follow the steps in out Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

When you have finished, paste all 3 logs into your next reply for review. If you have any problem pasting a log, it's okay to attach it instead.

Be sure to check the lines on both Malwarebytes and Superantispyware to remove the entries found. Do not attempt to remove anything in the HijackThis log- we will instruct you on that.

That thead was really helpful till I got to step 4.
I when I tried to download the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, the window to allow the download was behind the Security Tool window which refuses to close and I could move the window.
Is there another way round that?

Run this first, then try Mbam again:

Please download randmbam.exe

It will try to create random names and shortcuts for Malwarebytes Anti Malware(MBAM) if you have it installed already.

Once done, try running a scan again

thanks for the help,
i ended up finding a version of malwarebytes anti-malware that solved he problem and got rid of the virus.
all fixed :)

a version of malwarebytes anti-malware that solved he problem and got rid of the virus.
all fixed

What 'version' was that? We have the most current version and that is what should be used. It is very unlikely that any version of Mbam has completely remove the malware.

I just used the one that you posted the link from, so I assume its the most recent version.
We havn't had any issues with the computer so far, but should I be worried?

I have no idea what you ran or what it showed. I cannot answer a question about whether you should worry about it. But I will close the thread since you feel the problem has been resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back