Security Toolbar 7.1 virus problem - Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

My laptop has been infected with the Security toolbar 7.1 virus and as such I have been forced to avoid net surfing using IE.
The symptoms I am facing are the usual ones compounding other users infected by the same virus like:-

1. The IE homepage has been hijacked and every time IE is launched the virus takes over & tries to redirect to its intended site.
2. An alert pops up every now & then from the system tray advising me to install an anti spyware to protect my computer from some malicious malware/virus (as per the alert this is potentially eating up my CPU and slowing down my internet connection).
3. Two shortcuts titled "Online Security guide" and "Live Security centre" appear every time the system is rebooted.

After searching on google about this problem I stumbled upon your website and found out about the initial preliminary virus removal instruction guide posted on one of the threads on your "Security and web forum".

I have religiously followed all the specified 15 steps with the exception of STEP 3 (the online scanner didn't work with firefox even though as per the scanner website it should).

After finishing all the 15 steps, the 3 symptoms have all disappeared but before I resume my normal routine I want to be assured that my system is now free from the virus and as such request you to kindly assist me.

I am hereby attaching the logs as mentioned in STEP 15.

Please do the needful. Awaiting your response.....

Thanks,
tavinder

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Delete all files in AVG Antispyware quarantine.

Your HJT log is clean. Have HJT fix all entries that says either "No File" or "File Missing.

Your Combofix log is also clean clean. Delete the following folders.

C:\VundoFix Backups
C:\Qoobox

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of tavinder only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

" I want to be assured that my system is now free from the virus and as such request you to kindly assist me."

Problems with the Security Toolbar 7.1 are all over this board! Security Toolbar 7.1 is an adware program that also installs rogue security applications and display false alert on compromised computer.

Most are referring to it as a 'virus'- it isn't. Although an anti-virus program may alert the user to malware, it's not going to remove this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back