Security Warnings

By jhaynes
Aug 23, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi

Can you help. I keep getting Security warning on my lap top and I don't know what to do because i don't have a clue about this sort of thing. I got quite a few yesterday don't remember the name, I tried to follow instructions but then i got a message fom windows saying it could be a false company. Today a window pops up from vista antivirus 2008 saying my laptop is infected with spyware harmful and malicious software detected, Backdoor win 32/NT Root high, Backdoor win 32sivuxa High, Trojan.caiijing high. I have symantec security is this sufficiant, do I need to do something else, or ignore the messages.

Thanks
  2. SpiritWind

SpiritWind Newcomer, in training Posts: 164

"Rogue" program !?

Hi :

Sounds like you have what the Malware-fighting "community" calls a "Rogue"
    program !? Best to start, and hopefully end, with running a "Full Scan" of the
    FREE "MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware", best downloaded from
    www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php ; just click the green "Download" button to start
    the "process" . After Installation, make sure you "Update" it PRIOR to running
    its "Full Scan" .

"Symantec security" is NOT that good; you would be better off using the program
    I just mentioned, along with "SUPERAntiSpyware" from www.superantispyware.com
    for your antiSPYWARE/antiTROJAN protection . For antiVIRUS protection, I
    recommend the FREE Avast Home Edition ( www.avast.com ) with more SPECIFIC
    Info at www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html .
    IF you decide to "remove" the Symantec "Security", you will need to run its
    "Removal Tool" available at several Sites PRIOR to "Installing" any "New"
    antiVIRUS program .
  3. xxdanielxx

xxdanielxx Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,214

No what we should do is get a hijackthis log first to make sure something is wrong not just shot with out aiming.

* Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
    • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
    • Doubleclick on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
    • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    • Come back here to this thread and Attach the log in txt format your next reply.
    • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.