See Starfield's physics engine handle 20,000 potatoes stuffed into one room

Daniel Sims

Staff
WTF?! It's not a Bethesda game if you can't hoard thousands of useless tiny objects in one room. Starfield maintains this amusing trait of the developer's past titles and pushes it to a new level with shockingly advanced physics calculations.

A Starfield player recently posted a video displaying the extent of the game's impressive physics engine in one of the funniest ways possible. Bethesda previously joked about allowing players to fill their ship with dozens of stolen sandwiches, but that doesn't even scratch the surface.

The video, posted by Redditor Moozipan, begins with one of the game's primary NPCs, Sarah, remarking that the player has too much junk on their ship. The player then opens a hatch to reveal a room filled with 20,000 potatoes. Some spill out through the doorway with astonishing realism. The hatch then closes, pushing through the spilled potatoes in a way that looks just as natural. A second clip shows Sarah stuck in the middle of all the potatoes (which Mozzipan spawned using console commands on PC) shortly before an explosion hurls them across the room.

The gag is a nod to the Skyrim player who tossed 2,000 goat cheese wheels into a single room. Multiplying the number of objects by 10 (Mozzipan admitted Starfield couldn't handle 100,000 potatoes) shows how far Bethesda's technology has come since Skyrim's release in 2011. It's also an impressive challenge to the video showing 3,000 barrels collapsing and exploding in the original Crysis.

The potato clips highlight an impressive facet of Bethesda's games – object permanence. Starfield reviews confirm that, like past Bethesda releases, the game tracks the position of everything the player has ever moved, down to minor pieces of junk, even after traveling many lightyears.

Complex physics and NPC behavior interactions are likely a significant reason why Starfield runs at 30 frames per second on Xbox – a controversial performance profile as 60fps console titles become more common. It may also be why, as one commentator noted, Bethesda continues building games like Starfield on its in-house Creation Kit engine, which evolved from the Gamebryo tools the company has used since The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind in 2002. Switching to the Unreal Engine might make Bethesda's games look better, run more smoothly, or permit anyone with Unreal Engine experience to work on them. However, it might not allow tricks like spilling 20,000 potatoes onto the floor or using the physics engine to cheat in amusing ways.

Players are using Starfield's object permanence to circumvent their ships' strict carrying capacities by physically throwing loot onto the deck, where it doesn't consume inventory space. Mozzipan advises caution with this tactic, as items can glitch through walls depending on where they are. It has also not been a completely reliable way to store items in past Bethesda titles.

Mozzipan also used the post to call attention to Starfield's relative lack of accessibility features like an FOV slider or a colorblind mode. Steve Saylor, a legally blind YouTuber who reviews video games based on their accessibility features, appreciated the game's large font mode and customizable controls but criticized the absence of further user interface customization options and the vague map screen. Mozzipan added that modders have already added accessibility features for PC users despite Starfield still being in early access. The game officially launches on Wednesday, September 6.

Permalink to story.

" It may also be why, as one commentator noted, Bethesda continues building games like Starfield on its in-house Creation Kit engine, which evolved from the Gamebryo tools the company has used since The Elder Scrolls III"
I would still bet money is number one reason.

Judging by the game perfomance, seems like 95% of budget and dev's time went only on stabilizing gamebryo's ability to maintain misc items count and GridsToLoad LOL.

Instead of those physics, woulda been nice to cut down in the loading screen intervals....

" It may also be why, as one commentator noted, Bethesda continues building games like Starfield on its in-house Creation Kit engine, which evolved from the Gamebryo tools the company has used since The Elder Scrolls III"
I would still bet money is number one reason.

I'd bet they're losing money on it. It's usually cheaper to pay for an existing engine rather than build your own, unless you want specific features which aren't readily available in the other engine.

I'd bet they're losing money on it. It's usually cheaper to pay for an existing engine rather than build your own, unless you want specific features which aren't readily available in the other engine.
I think using the term "losing money" isn't best placed here, what you mean is, they make slightly less money because they have to have a bigger dev team that builds and maintains the game engine.

Didn't know the studio was Irish.
Originally from the Shire, actually...

potatoes.gif

I think using the term "losing money" isn't best placed here, what you mean is, they make slightly less money because they have to have a bigger dev team that builds and maintains the game engine.
If you want to phrase this well "make slightly less money" isn't it either. :) They make the same, the cost of development is higher. Still, I feel that the notion is clear.

Another thing that building your own gets you is more developers that are able to handle the kinds of complex problems that are involved in simulations. That, alone, IMO, is worth the extra development cost and time.

And you also get the ability to fix bugs in your game engine rather than having to wait for someone else to fix it or wade through code that your team is unfamiliar with to fix someone else's problem.

Back