Seeking advice on P/S for big upgrade

1. Added some new H/W to my (2 ½ year old} system and now my Ocz Falit1ty 550 Watt P/S shuts off almost instantly upon powering up. I can’t see any way there’s a short, and it still runs alright if I disconnect the new W/D red 2TG hard drives and remove the new AMD 7950 video card. I wouldn’t be surprised if it heated up under load – but it can’t even begin to boot. I do a lot of editing, rendering, and converting of lengthy video files so I need to be able to accommodate and sustain a heavy CPU / GPU load.
    I used to think that 550 W was big, but now I’m looking to buy a heavier P/S. I would appreciate experienced opinions on how big I actually need to go. My system when upgraded will be:
    Gigabyte M/B GA890GPA-UD3H
    AMD Black Edition four–core Phenom II @ 3.6GHz
    TBD P/S
    32 GB PC1600 (4x8)
    LG CD/DVD R/W; Blu-ray Read only
    LG CD/DVD/ Blu-ray Read/Write
    Sapphire AMD HD 7950
    (4) W/D red 2TG harddrives
    (1) 240 GB Consair SATA III SSD

When Intel releases its next “Tick” I may upgrade to a new Intel CPU and an appropriate new M/B, but that’ll probably use less power than my present AMD CPU does now.
    I am looking at the SeaSonic X Series X-850 that Newegg has on sale through today for $129.99. It seems to have good reviews.
    Thoughts anyone?
  2. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TechSpot Addict Posts: 885   +171

I would considering picking up any of the follow:

Corsair TX650 ($89.99)
    Corsair TX750 ($109.99)
    Antec Neo Eco 620 (69.99)

All will provide you with solid performance. I would also recommend an 850W variation of either the TX or HX Corsair PSU's. That will give you a bit of room for future upgrades.
  3. Poordirtfarmer

Poordirtfarmer Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks Blkfx1. I placed an order for the Corsair HX 850 last night. Just caught the sale + rebate window and saved a few bucks.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.