Seeking comments on new build

Basically going to build my own computer (again) and am looking at a simple but decent build and was wondering what others thought, so far I have come up with:

CASE: Coolermaster HAF-912
PSU: Corsair TX 750w PSU
CPU: Intel Core i7 950 3.06Ghz 8Mb Cache Quad Core
MOBO: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R SLI / Crossfire Motherboard
RAM: Corsair XMS 6Gb (3x2Gb) 1600Mhz DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GTX470 1280Mb (DX11 enabled) OR a ATI HD5870 1Gb (DX11 Enabled)
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1Tb (1000Gb) 32Mb Cache Read/Write 100Mb/s
CD/DVD: Samsung Dual Layer 24x DVD+-RW Black

Any comments, suggestions and general feed back would be appreciated regarding this build. No particular budget or price tag in mind just after something that will provide reasonable performance for a while.

Have you considered looking at the new GTX 570/580 or even the upcoming Radeon 69xx next Tuesday/Wednesday? Also what resolution do you plan to play on if this is for gaming? Or are you interested in getting a new monitor?

Have you considered looking at the new GTX 570/580 or even the upcoming Radeon 69xx next Tuesday/Wednesday? Also what resolution do you plan to play on if this is for gaming? Or are you interested in getting a new monitor?

I have however I'm undecided on whether the increase is justifable for the extra out put atm since currently its going to be an additional ~$300 or so and based on what I have read about them so far it can be out done by 2x GTX460s in SLI which only cost me an extra ~$50 then the GTX580 :\

As for resolution I plan on it being somewhere in the mid to high end although I am not really going to care about the detail fo the tinest hair on the **** of a guy 3KMs away on my screen so I want to avoid going over bored (for now atleast).

(Should also mention I mainly play WoW but will be playing other games as well)

I'm guessing you plan on playing at 1920x1080 then? Either way if WoW is your primary game, and as a former WoW addict I can understand if you spend way to much time in it, I'd say what you have with a GTX 470 would be the most balanced. Here is a great performance guide from Tom's Hardware that breaks down everything about the recent expansion, and it's pretty clear that an Intel + Nvidia pairing is the way to go. However the GTX 470 is still overkill for WoW and you will see that *** hair from 3 kms away :haha: .

@Captain Definitely looks like it from those pictures, thanks for sharing :) .

Back