Sega shows off the 'world's fastest PC,' able to reach 62 MPH

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! When one imagines “the world’s fastest PC,” you wouldn’t expect its performance to be measured in kilometers per hour (KPH). But Sega and ASRock’s Alder Lake build is a little different from the norm: it’s integrated into the chassis of a Remote Control car that’s capable of reaching 100 KPH, or just over 62 MPH.

The speedy PC, created in collaboration with G-Force and Masami Hirosaka, was built to celebrate the Steam Winter Sale, which features several titles from Sega. It’s also being given away as a prize. Entering the competition involves following Sega Official on Twitter, retweeting the tweet below, and commenting. The prize draw will be announced at the end of the Steam sale, which finishes on January 5. Sadly, it’s only open to residents of Japan.

The PC itself is no slouch when it comes to the hardware it’s packing, featuring an Intel Core i9-12900K processor sitting in an ASRock Z690M Mini-ITX board, an ASRock Radeon RX 6900 XT OC Formula 16GB, 32GB of dual-channel RAM, and a 2TB SSD. It’s also filled with Sega Atlus PC titles and comes with 23 codes for Sega games on Steam for the winner to enjoy.

As you can see in the video, the Remote Control car zips around the track despite its very un-aerodynamic shape. It’s likely that the box-style design is primarily to protect the components inside from being destroyed during a high-speed crash.

For a more traditional Alder Lake build, check out this (mostly) all-white creation. It might not do over 60 MPH, but it’s got plenty of go-faster RGB lights.

Permalink to story.

Wouldn’t a Tesla Model S be considered the fastest PC? It comes with a 17” display at 2200x1300 resolution, an AMD Ryzen Embedded V1807B with Radeon RX 6800M, several USB-C ports, bluetooth, WiFi, LTE, a speaker system, you can plug in USB storage, a mouse, or gaming controller, you can play over a dozen games on it, use several apps, update the system, and it has a web browser. It also goes up to 162 mph (100mph faster): https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38453459/tesla-model-s-plaid-top-speed-200-mph/

Last edited:
Wouldn’t a Tesla Model S be considered the fastest PC? It comes with a 17” display at 2200x1300 resolution, an AMD Ryzen Embedded V1807B with Radeon RX 6800M, several USB-C ports, bluetooth, WiFi, LTE, a speaker system, you can plug in USB storage, a mouse, or gaming controller, you can play over a dozen games on it, use several apps, update the system, and it has a web browser. It also goes up to 162 mph (100mph faster): https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38453459/tesla-model-s-plaid-top-speed-200-mph/

Depends how far you want to up the ante I guess. Plenty of old laptops on the ISS doing five a miles a second right now.

I thought we’ve plateaued for 2021. I guess not. Maybe next your we’ll get a COVID variant with a micro computer strapped on to it.

I bet that even with attaching a full RC car it's probably still less power hungry that top of the line intel cpus overclocked

Hate to say this, but the Intel power “issue” has been debunked already. Alder Lake is fine once you stop running Cinebench and other stress testing utilities. Not trying to say that Alder Lake is the winner and AMD is now wasting sand. I’m just saying that the Alder Lake power “issue” has been completely blown out of proportion, most likely by butthurt AMD fanboys. But if all goes well, 3D V-Cache will allow them to once again bask in the glory of their chosen deity. I love it when tech companies start leapfrogging each other. Makes following tech interesting again.

Hate to say this, but the Intel power “issue” has been debunked already. Alder Lake is fine once you stop running Cinebench and other stress testing utilities. Not trying to say that Alder Lake is the winner and AMD is now wasting sand. I’m just saying that the Alder Lake power “issue” has been completely blown out of proportion, most likely by butthurt AMD fanboys. But if all goes well, 3D V-Cache will allow them to once again bask in the glory of their chosen deity. I love it when tech companies start leapfrogging each other. Makes following tech interesting again.
It's debunked! Much like Apple you're just using it wrong! You're not supposed to expect full performance out of a CPU you need to just not use it as much!

Like you said, unless you just want to burn your money with mobo and ddr5 prices right now you might as well wait for Zen3+ but one thing is to say "Yes, Alder Lake is power intensive but who really cares for desktops?" would be one thing but to say "No it's not that bad, if you just don't use it to it's fullest extent" is just laughable.

It's debunked! Much like Apple you're just using it wrong! You're not supposed to expect full performance out of a CPU you need to just not use it as much!

Like you said, unless you just want to burn your money with mobo and ddr5 prices right now you might as well wait for Zen3+ but one thing is to say "Yes, Alder Lake is power intensive but who really cares for desktops?" would be one thing but to say "No it's not that bad, if you just don't use it to it's fullest extent" is just laughable.
I'm a little confused. I never said not to use it to its fullest extent. Maybe you need to lay off that laughing gas if you think that's so funny?

This has nothing to do with Apple fanboys inhaling that sweet copium gas (as an Apple user, I hate those guys because they enable Apple to get away with stuff they should be punished for. I mean, don't those fanboys want better products?).

I just said not to base the whole power usage argument on multicore benchmark programs and stress test utilities, because people have already investigated that and found that Alder Lake isn't all that bad when doing normal everyday workloads and in some scenarios is even more efficient than Zen 3.

But okay, if running Cinebench and Prime95 all day long is your thing, then obviously you should give Alder Lake a hard pass and that's perfectly fine. Just don't expect everybody to base their purchasing decisions on flippant fanboy conclusions. Oh, and if not running my 12900K at maxed out multicore performance all the time is wrong, then I'll just have to use it wrong. I have my reasons. Btw. - got my mobo on sale and with cash-back. Using DDR4 since it's fine for my needs. Previous board is a Z390, so had to get a new board either way. Got the 12900K on sale too. All in all not too bad really.

When is comes to not caring about desktop power usage, you couldn't be more wrong. As a European living in a country that is seeing hotter and hotter summers and where AC is not a thing, combined with energy prices sky rocketing, I sure care a whole lot! The difference is that I have some use case scenarios where I need to let it rip and in those scenarios, I'll just have to suffer the heat and swallow the expense. But when not, there's this wonderful thing called undervolting. Combine it with power limiting and frame capping and you can have a system that sips energy and runs cool as a cucumber. Very useful when ambient room temperature climbs past 30c during the summer. It's a little more work that way, but it works.

I just said not to base the whole power usage argument on multicore benchmark programs and stress test utilities, because people have already investigated that and found that Alder Lake isn't all that bad when doing normal everyday workloads and in some scenarios is even more efficient than Zen 3.
That doesn't makes any sense: You're getting a multi-core powerhouse to use all those cores to their fullest potential. Otherwise you'd just get a low power 6 core chip and be perfectly fine with it.

I'm done talking about this.

That doesn't makes any sense: You're getting a multi-core powerhouse to use all those cores to their fullest potential. Otherwise you'd just get a low power 6 core chip and be perfectly fine with it.

I'm done talking about this.
No worries. I shall add you to my ignore list so we don’t waste time on each other. Feel free to do likewise.

Back