Select proper boot device error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently just got n old computer and erased the HD completely, and re installed windows. Everything was working golden except the computer ran a little slow, I only had 990 or so MB of ram so i decided to open up the comp and add another 256 MB of RAM into it. So i plug everything back in and turn on the computer, the manufacturers screen came up, then after that i get an error saying

Please select proper boot device or insert boot media and reboot

or something along those lines. I checked the BIOS and it says my primary IDE device is not detected so i opened it back up and checked if maybe i had moved some wires out of place, then tried again still no go. Even checked my boot priority.

1st is CD ROM drive
2nd is my Floppy drive
3rd is empty

didnt give me the option to set my HD as 3rd. Its like my HD isnt even there. Im hoping to god its some thing else and i dont have to go buy a New HD or ill be screwed.

heres some hardware if you need itt?

I have an ASUS motherboard with an AMD athlon 64 processor +2800 i beleive, about 1250MB of ram but they are two different manufacturers i dont know if that could be it but highly doubt it.

please help im desperate hahah :\

If the HD hasn't failed, you've installed something improperly.
Remove the new memory and triple-check your connections.

tried that no go, if the HD did fail how could me putting RAM in it do something to my HD? Im so confused. Unless I wiggled wires but I checked all the connections, was it just a huge coincidence

Remove the original RAM and replace it carefully.
The most logical scenario is you've got something installed wrong.
Be patient, look at everything in detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back