TechSpot

Self-assembling block copolymers could bring fivefold storage boost

By Matthew
Nov 14, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. University of Texas researchers have announced a new technique that could produce a fivefold increase in hard drive capacity. Led by C. Grant Willson, professor of chemistry, biochemistry and engineering at UT, the team has discovered a way to use...

Read more

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,592

Is it just me or is everyone else just as confused when they finished reading, as they were when they read the title?

Burty117 likes this.
  3. No, I am actually more confused after reading the article.

4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,371   +289

I got confused when I looked at the picture of the three guys - never made it to any of the words. ;)

5. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Wish it addressed how the copolymer prevents magnetic interference between the more closely packed dots, and why that insulating effect wouldn't interfere with reads/writes. Also, if they figure out how such nano-scale self-organization is possible over a significant area (at least an entire disk platter) in 30 seconds they'd probably find all sorts of other ways to use the effect. Also, what in this reported tech would prevent drive makers from being able to use it to make storage devices? Just questions off the top of my coffee-addled head.

6. Some guys came out with a way to hold 5 times more data on a standard hard drive. Hopefully that clears any confusion. ;)

7. I am wondering, if this is can be combined with the salty method. That would be very handy :)

TJGeezer likes this.
  8. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +29

How about we reduce hdd failures first before we keep making bigger drives.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.