Self built computer throwing BSOD

sdevlin

In mid august after doing about a weeks worth of research on building computers i took a trip to my local Micro Center to purchase the parts to build a computer to better suit my Computer Aided Design Needs. I employed my fathers help with getting everything set up since he has built a few himself. We had just gotten the computer put together by the time I had to go to work so i left him to set up Windows 7 and the drivers. while at work my dad finished with all the software set up. (i was working overnight 9pm-5am)
any way the first time i turned the computer on windows told me that something was wrong and that it needed to roll back to a point in time when windows worked properly, so i said OK and windows did its thing. for a while i had no problems and the system was way better that i had expected. I started noticing that on occasion i would wakeup my computer to find a pop up telling me that windows had recovered from an unexpected error. i didnt think too much of this until recently i got to actaully the dreaded BSOD. i decided to see if the problem persisted before i really started to worry.
a week later here i am dumbfounded as to why my computer is throwing stop errors.
troubleshooting i have tried:
Memtest86+ running all night for 8 passes (no errors)
windows memory diag (no errors)
chkdsk (nada)
Moved RAM to new slots (persisted)

i cant figure out what the problem is, my best guess is i have some kind of corrupted system file.
the BSOD's can occur at random times, i could be using the computer, or the errors could occur in the middle of the night with no programs open at all.

My set up includes :
intel DH55TC Chipset Board
intel core i7 830 CPU
2x4GB oCZ DDR3 RAM
nVidia Quadro FX 580 GPU
oCZ 600W power Supply
WD 500 GB HDD

will follow up later with dmp files have to get to work!

Thanks!!

I have gotten a few different BCCodes. the most recent has been BCCode 109. but I can't remember the others. (I'm at work posting on iphone)

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

I am aware of the dump files and how to post them. I will be loading them tommorow morning. I was running late for work when I started the tread.

I have attached the last 5 .dmp files to this message.

Attachments

• minidump.zip
    119.5 KB · Views: 1
Four of your errors are the same 0x109: CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION
This indicates that the kernel has detected critical kernel code or data corruption.
Nothing specific was cited as the cause of your BSODs.

Cause
There are generally three different causes for this bug check:

A driver has inadvertently, or deliberately, modified critical kernel code or data. Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1) and later versions of Windows for x64-based computers do not allow the kernel to be patched except through authorized Microsoft-originated hot patches.

A developer attempted to set a normal kernel breakpoint using a kernel debugger that was not attached when the system was started. Normal breakpoints (bp) can only be set if the debugger is attached at start time. Processor breakpoints (ba) can be set at any time.

A hardware corruption occurred. For example, the kernel code or data could have been stored in memory that failed.

The following actions might resolve your issue:

Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
Scan your computer for computer viruses.
Check your hard disk for errors by using a harddrive diagnostic utility provided by your HD manufacture.
Run Memtest for a minimum of 7 Passes per stick of RAM; the more after 7 the better.

ok. I ran the diagnostic tool that Western Digital had on their website and my hard drive passed. so I decided to give memtest another go and let it run for about 19-20 hours and 11 passes and recieved 8 errors.
now I assume that this means that my RAM is the cause of my problems and it should be replaced. correct?

Yes, any errors with memtest and you've got bad RAM that needs to be replaced. Good patient diagnostic work on your part for running it for those many hours and those Passes. Often errors don't show up until after the recommended 7 Passes which is why I recommend the more Passes after 7 the better.

Now run the test per stick to determine the corrupted one(s). If these came in a set the memory maker will in all likelihood want you to return it as a set even if one is good.

yea I had work all day yesterday so I started it Saturday night and let it run until I got home. the came as a set and I purchased not too long ago so I will try to return them to the store.

Back