Sending a print between computers in different locations

jalba

I would like to know if it is even REMOTELY possible to send a document to print from one computer to a printer attached to another computer in a different location.

And when I mean in another location, I mean that the printer is located at another building! The computers aren't even connected by a network system.

Weird request I know, but just wanted to know if it's a possibility.

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know there is no way to do this when the PC's are not on the same Network. All you can do is send the document as an attachment to an email so the other user can print it out. Sending a fax, if the other building has a fax machine, will create a print out.

There may be other replies.

It can be configure, but it opens your whole system to the internet, so no one uses that approach.

A better choice is to connect with a VPN connection to the remote system (or remote desktop).

PuTTY and SSH are means to securly access a remote system

It can be configure, but it opens your whole system to the internet, so no one uses that approach.

A better choice is to connect with a VPN connection to the remote system (or remote desktop).

PuTTY and SSH are means to securly access a remote system

I'm not familiar with this familiar with this system. How does it work, or does it allow me to print via a remote printer?

I had completely forgotten about this, it gives full control of another PC's desktop, allows file transfer and you can set up VPN with it. Obviously you need the PC's operator to consent and enter a code. This will work on any system anywhere in the world.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

I downloaded it months ago and haven't had time to experiment with it yet so can't tell you exactly how to use it you will have to search the site for instructions.

But Mark65, I don't want to control a next person's desktop. I just want to print via that desktop.

I don't think you can do that without having remote control over the other persons PC or use a VPN set up.

Perhaps it would help us help you if you could explain exactly why you need to do this rather than just sending a document by email or fax.

Basically, I want to type up some documents and print them at the other location, instead of having to send the document as a pdf file, and then depend on the person to print it out for me.

Then VPN will be the way to go. This stands for Virtual Private Network. I would need to know your OS before offering any further information.

yeh, I know......just didn't know how to ....ummm....phrase it properly?

I'll take a peek and will let you know if it works.

Alright, as I am working on this thing, I've gor another dumb question.

Can i connect to the computer via my remote computer when that computer has been powered off?

No, it needs to be switched on and left in your control, if somebody signs in it will cut off the connection.

Back