Sending messages to other/unknown workgroup computers

By mrprimo55
May 14, 2006
  1. hey everyone.
    ive got what i think is a pretty interesting question here. i have a linksys wireless router which does not have the generic linksys ssid, but it is unsecured. i am planning to secure it but i am not ready yet as i am still tweaking some other things with the router and my computers. anyways, i have a neighbor who keeps logging onto my router, even after i check the dhcp log and delete them. they just reconnect a little while later after ive kicked them off. my question is this: i would like to send them a friendly message but i cannot figure out how to. i am familiar with the basics of netsend but as far as i know, to use netsend the computer has to be in the same workgroup. is this correct? if so, is there a way that i can find their workgroup or even send them a message without sending them a message? lastly, if they have netsend disabled on their computer is there a way that i can send a message by another means? i know that this is a pretty interesting question, but i would just like to be able to send them a message, nothing harsh, before securing my network so i would greatly appreciate any help. thanks in advance.
    note: i posted this message in two forums on techspot because i wasnt sure of the right one to use.
  2. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

No, but both computers must have the messenger service enabled.

You're solution is to secure your network - either by encryption or by allowing only your own mac addresses - possibly both.

Being a neighbor, you could also drop a note through their door :)
  3. mrprimo55

mrprimo55 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

haha thanks, but i dont know which of my neighbors it is. is there any way to figure out what their workgroup is though?
  4. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

log should have ip address just ban that
    disable dhcp make router a gateway set you nics to static assign address's
    like default router gateway
    you nics and up
    make a note of your wan dns ip's there should be 2 of them
    or use this default it works sometimes
    don't have WEP setup need a better wireless
  5. mrprimo55

mrprimo55 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

what do you mean by this?
  6. Spike

WPA ;)

Plus of course MAC filtering.
  7. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

WEP is easier to setup & works fine unless your neighbour works for the NSA.
  8. Spike

he he. Or unless you're neighbor is me (or someone of equal knowledge), but that's not likely. lol :)

Not that I'm some kind of super-guru, but most people aren't "technically inclined". lol
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.