Sending messages to other/unknown workgroup computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrprimo55

hey everyone.
ive got what i think is a pretty interesting question here. i have a linksys wireless router which does not have the generic linksys ssid, but it is unsecured. i am planning to secure it but i am not ready yet as i am still tweaking some other things with the router and my computers. anyways, i have a neighbor who keeps logging onto my router, even after i check the dhcp log and delete them. they just reconnect a little while later after ive kicked them off. my question is this: i would like to send them a friendly message but i cannot figure out how to. i am familiar with the basics of netsend but as far as i know, to use netsend the computer has to be in the same workgroup. is this correct? if so, is there a way that i can find their workgroup or even send them a message without sending them a message? lastly, if they have netsend disabled on their computer is there a way that i can send a message by another means? i know that this is a pretty interesting question, but i would just like to be able to send them a message, nothing harsh, before securing my network so i would greatly appreciate any help. thanks in advance.
note: i posted this message in two forums on techspot because i wasnt sure of the right one to use.

to use netsend the computer has to be in the same workgroup.

No, but both computers must have the messenger service enabled.

You're solution is to secure your network - either by encryption or by allowing only your own mac addresses - possibly both.

Being a neighbor, you could also drop a note through their door :)

haha thanks, but i dont know which of my neighbors it is. is there any way to figure out what their workgroup is though?

log should have ip address just ban that
disable dhcp make router a gateway set you nics to static assign address's
like default router gateway 172.16.1.1
you nics 172.16.1.10 and up
make a note of your wan dns ip's there should be 2 of them
or use this default it works sometimes
4.2.2.2-4.2.2.6
don't have WEP setup need a better wireless

he he. Or unless you're neighbor is me (or someone of equal knowledge), but that's not likely. lol :)

Not that I'm some kind of super-guru, but most people aren't "technically inclined". lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back