Serious Apple question

learninmypc

I was visiting my friend that has been giving me his computer(s) since he had upgraded to the next OS.
He gave me his XP when he went to W7 then took the free upgrade to 10 as did I.
Anyhow, he was asking how this pc is doing & I told him ok.
My question is, on nearly every show I watch on tv, the pc's in use are Apple. Ok, so they may not be called pc's, but....I realize this forum may be 98% MS, so I'm asking anyhow, Apple or MS?
To my knowledge, the only thing bad/wrong with my W10 is I need a fan on it 24/7,365 to keep it cool because I either need thermal paste or just too much dust in this bldg. What is the price of an equivalent to W10 Home? TIA

My question is, on nearly every show I watch on tv, the pc's in use are Apple. Ok, so they may not be called pc's, but....I realize this forum may be 98% MS, so I'm asking anyhow, Apple or MS?
For a certainty, TS leans heavily towards PCs+Windows, and there's just a few Mac-heads here (I'm agnostic and have both + Linux).

Forget what you see in movies - - all the props are rented OR donated to get free advertising.

If asked such a question, I favor first & highest priority to STICK with what you know. Secondly then, use the tool that fits the job(s) at hand. The Niche market of Mac is multimedia, including film & music creation and editing.

I fear you have opened Pandora's Box with the question so anticipate a flood of Mac-bashing.

Yes, I basically knew TS is MS. The only apple products I have & use are my iphone & ipad. Thank you for your reply :)

Apple's Computers are PCs running Mac OS sold under the Mac brand.

Obviously the current marketing strategy is to portray 'a PC' as something different so they can say
'we're not with those guys, we're something unique' but by any historical or technical definition they're very much PCs.

They didn't used to be, they were operating on different hardware with IBM PowerPC processors instead of the Intel/AMD ones the PC world was using but they transitioned about fifteen years ago.

As joebeard says, stuff like product use on TVs is more about that company's marketing efforts (it's called product placement) than any reflection on what's actually used.

To my knowledge, the only thing bad/wrong with my W10 is I need a fan on it 24/7,365 to keep it cool because I either need thermal paste or just too much dust in this bldg.

You have to make the distinction between the hardware and the software.

You see people enthusing about how great their new mac is and then you ask them what it replaced. Often their answer will be that their last machine cost a third of the price or less, yet many seem curiously unwilling to assign any of the improvement to the fact that they've bought a high end/luxury machine and give all the credit to the change in brand and software.

What is the price of an equivalent to W10 Home? TIA

Apple don't sell Mac OS separately from the hardware.

Apple's Computers are PCs running Mac OS sold under the Mac brand.

Obviously the current marketing strategy is to portray 'a PC' as something different so they can say
'we're not with those guys, we're something unique' but by any historical or technical definition they're very much PCs.

They didn't used to be, they were operating on different hardware with IBM PowerPC processors instead of the Intel/AMD ones the PC world was using but they transitioned about fifteen years ago.

As joebeard says, stuff like product use on TVs is more about that company's marketing efforts (it's called product placement) than any reflection on what's actually used.

You have to make the distinction between the hardware and the software.

You see people enthusing about how great their new mac is and then you ask them what it replaced. Often their answer will be that their last machine cost a third of the price or less, yet many seem curiously unwilling to assign any of the improvement to the fact that they've bought a high end/luxury machine and give all the credit to the change in brand and software.

Apple don't sell Mac OS separately from the hardware.
@EndlessWaves in regards to this part of your response "As joebeard says, stuff like product use on TVs is more about that company's marketing efforts (it's called product placement) than any reflection on what's actually used.", go here http://www.rightthisminute.com/tv/episode/2016-09-09 & tell me its product placement. Thats why I was saying I see apple (mac) on some tv shows I watch. :)

The generals about OS are:
-Mac = premium beginner + multimedia (however, I don't think it has any advantages in multimedia anymore. I think it's just preference nowadays)
-Windows = flexible normal + jack of all trades (the only thing I can really boast about for Windows is gaming)
-Linux = flexible hard + do any customization to the OS you want (however there are no guarantees hardware/software will work without a workaround).

I personally prefer Windows because I'm a power user + gamer and I see Apple as a fashion brand, but I don't care to have the flexibility of Linux at this time.

Edit: Wow, why is the sidebar giving me such old topics...

Last edited:
@khamiisi - that is not quite as simple of a question as it may seem. Since Sierra (10.12) you are unable to make a bootable USB of it without having pirated an iso of it, even if you have a legit downloaded app store .app of it, without having a Mac capable of running it. This is an issue if you have say a 2009 Macbook Pro or some such that can run El Capitan, and a newer system that you want Sierra on. You have to make that bootable USB from a Sierra capable machine. There is a way you can do it through a VM, but I don't know enough about that method to tell you.

the tl;dr of this is, if you need to replace a hdd on something capable of running Sierra or better, just boot into recovery and do a download/install of the newest OS by following this guide: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Going to need more details for a better answer as things change depending on how far back in the OS versions you want to go.

Back