Serious Error Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - I repeatedly get crashes and reboot and then the message that the system has recovered from a serious error. I've tried memory tests, taking out graphics cards etc all the usual stuff but still no joy - I would be really grateful if someone could have a quick look at the minidumps.

Many thanks

Jamie :)

Attachments

• Mini062309-04.dmp
    92 KB · Views: 6
Hi I think the crash is related to SYMEFA.SYS driver, this is think is related to Symantec. If you have any Symantec software on your machine I would have a look on their website and see if it's a common or a fix it available. I could be totally wrong....

Looks like a bad upload on the last dump Mini062309-04.dmp (92.0 KB, 4 views)

Here is a summary of the other two...
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50) - Faulting Module = SYMEFA.SYS
Invalid system memory was referenced. This cannot be protected by try-except, it must be protected by a Probe. Typically the address is just plain bad or it is pointing at freed memory.

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M (1000007f) - Faulting Module = ntoskrnl.exe
This means a trap occurred in kernel mode, and it's a trap of a kind that the kernel isn't allowed to have/catch (bound trap) or that is always instant death (double fault).

Stop 0x7F messages
• are typically due to defective, malfunctioning, or failed memory hardware.

• Running the CPU beyond the rated specification, known as "overclocking," can cause Stop 0x7F or other error messages due to heat buildup.

• The problem might also be due to cracks, scratched traces, or defective components on the motherboard. If all else fails, take the system motherboard to a repair facility for diagnostic testing.

• Stop 0x7F messages can occur after installing incompatible applications, drivers, or system services.

Re; 0x50 messages
• If you added new hardware recently, remove and replace the hardware to determine if it is causing or contributing to the problem.

• Stop 0x50 messages can also occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. ... Using updated drivers and software is especially important for network interface cards, video adapters, backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.

So... To help chase this down...
1. Are you overclocking? Is so, revert and see if that resolves the problems.
2. Have you recently added hardware or software, or changed bios settings?
3. Try using Memtest... See this ... https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html
It usually takes a while to run, so you might want to start it before going to bed, and let it run overnight.
In short, there are 8 tests of increasing complexity to each cycle or pass. You need at least 7 passes. If you find errors, you can stop sooner, because memory is defective and needs replacing.
4. You are running SP3, but have you checked MS for other updates? Sometimes they will recommend updates based upon your specific hardware.
5. Sometimes malware can cause drivers to misbehave. Are you absolutely sure you have not become infected. If you are not sure, start with the 8 steps here. https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
If malware is found, then post a new thread there. https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html
6. If might also help if you gave us a run down of your system hardware and software...

Let us know how the tests are progressing.
If you have other minidumps, please attach them to your next post.
HTH

progressing errors!

Hi - many thanks for help so far - answers to questions below:

1. Are you overclocking? Is so, revert and see if that resolves the problems.

no - I have never overclocked this pc.

2. Have you recently added hardware or software, or changed bios settings?

no new hardware or software added - I have however updated the bios but this is after all of the errors occurred to see if this would fix it.

3. Try using Memtest... See this ...It usually takes a while to run, so you might want to start it before going to bed, and let it run overnight.
In short, there are 8 tests of increasing complexity to each cycle or pass. You need at least 7 passes. If you find errors, you can stop sooner, because memory is defective and needs replacing.

memtest came back clear on both sticks of ram.

4. You are running SP3, but have you checked MS for other updates? Sometimes they will recommend updates based upon your specific hardware.

It says there are no new updates available and ive also checked the hp update programme and it says all upto date as well.

5. Sometimes malware can cause drivers to misbehave. Are you absolutely sure you have not become infected. If you are not sure, start with the 8 steps here.

no malware is showing on the system.

I have tried removing norton internet security 09 from the pc and I have left it running for the past few hours and so far so good! - I am now going to try and reinstall Norton and see how I get on,

Many thanks again for your help with this,

Jamie

Are you running more than one Anti-virus package? If so, they may be conflicting.
If you have an internet security suite, its internal av may conflict with a stand-alone av.
If you have further troubles with Symantec/Norton, while you are trouble free without them,
then I would you change your av and firewall.

There are good recommendations on both in the 8 steps.
Also... just because one av package doesn't find a problem, that does not mean you are clear!
If you have not yet run the 8 steps, it is still a good idea to do so!

Keep us posted.

Norton

Thanks - all been ok and then ive just left it for a while came back and everything locked up and had to physically power off and restart the computer in order to get anything going again - just looking at the event viewer and shows that the norton internet security has started and stopped the service three times just before it locked up - am I assuming that norton is to be removed completely?

Jamie

Thanks - all been ok and then ive just left it for a while came back and everything locked up and had to physically power off and restart the computer in order to get anything going again - just looking at the event viewer and shows that the norton internet security has started and stopped the service three times just before it locked up - am I assuming that norton is to be removed completely?

Jamie

Yes, it needs to be completely removed. Norton is notorious for leaving remnants of itself behind even after a "complete" uninstall. This has been such a problem that Symantec needed to create a Removal Tool to make sure no drivers remained.

Go to their website, find the Removal Tool for your particular version and use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back