Serious Malware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am trying to help out a friend with her virus and malware issues. This seems like a tought one to get rid of. I resolved her malware and virus problem the last time. Apparently she let one of her friends connect his external hdd that was infested. I tried everything Norton 360, AVG, Malwarebytes, Super antispyware, spybot, and spyware doctor. None of them work 100%. AVG was able to get rid of most of her problems. I then tried spybot and will not open. Malwarebytes same result. Then I finally tried super antispyware but it kept on crashing. I ran a scan with Dr Web and it found the Trojans "Trojan.Fakealert.4550 and Trojan.Packed.365". Is there anything else I can do? I am running out of options. I am looking at just reinstalling XP.

Thanks

I reckon you've got a rootkit infection there.

Download RootRepeal and run it - select the file tab and run a scan.

You are looking for a .sys file that is hidden.

If you find one right cilck it and select "wipe file" and restart immediately.

If I'm right Superantispyware will now install and run and should be able to remove the rest of the infection.

Good luck!

I second the suggestion of T77. If MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware do not work in SAFE MODE, you have no easy solutions. If the SAFE MODE effort doesn't work, I would mount the laptop drive in a desktop using one of the laptop drive adapters and label it in setup so you can find it, then scan it from the booted desktop system that is properly setup to remove RootKits and infestations... after you determine whether the laptop drive is identified as D or X or whatever.They are available in larger cities, and on Geeks.com, Frys, CyberGuys, and other such sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back