Serious problem! uninstallation

By Atma*
Feb 7, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay so I was having a problem with the game so I uninstalled it. When I went to reinstall it, it said it had a problem generating assets0. I then ran my system restore to before I uninstalled it but when i logged back on the game was missing assets0. So I then ran the system restore again to before I ran it last..I undid my last restore. I went to uinstall the game. the game was on the list but when i clicked uninstall it said it cant find the uninstall program. I want to remove the game totally and install my brand new version..but it's not letting me. how can I get rid of it?
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,280   +180

Can you try reinstalling over the old game then uninstall it? Then, of course, reinstall once you have a clean uninstall.
  3. Atma*

Atma* Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

No I can't, it won't let me. I also can't uninstall again cause it can't seem to find the uninstallation program.
  4. mailpup

BTW, what game is this?
  5. detrunks

detrunks TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 202

try CCleaner (free download) - it has an uninstall utility but use the 'issues' utility first.
  6. Atma*

I ran the program and removed jk2 but when I put the gamedisk in it still reads as if the game i installed giving me the option to play SP or MP. There's an ''options'' tab and when I click it there's an ''uninstall'' tab. I click it and it says it couldnt find the uninstaller and to reinstall the game again. How can I install it if the game is already ''installed'' onto my system?
  7. detrunks

use a different directory

If it lets you, I suggest using a different directory when installing the game.
    Access the setup via explore and not via the autorun (explore the disk and double click set up)
    I had a similar problem with a failed splinter cell installation that I could NEVER get rid of.
  8. Atma*

BTW the game is Jedi knight 2 Jedi outcast.

So I did what you told me to do..I think. I entered explore, right clicked on both of the two installation icons, one after the other, and selected "Run as current username" it opened the installation but it game me a message saying "The installation engine (Ikernal.exe) could not be launched access is denied". Did I not do it correctly?
  9. detrunks

umm...

You just need to double-click on 1 installation icon - one of them won't work and the other will. You can also install via the setup icon. Please check you are installing as an administrator as well.
  10. Atma*

I swear I didn't see the installation runner last time I checked...but it's there..and I'm now back to my original problem.

66% into the installation it says

Component transfer error
    Component: Game
    File group: Game files
    File: D:/GAMEDATA/Gamedata/base/assets0.pk3
    Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Then a window titled "Question" opens up and it reads "Null --- Yes? No?"

Perhaps my game disc is corupted? I've played with this disk before..uninstalled and reinstalled several times using this disk..
  11. mailpup

I guess it wouldn't hurt to clean the disc. It could have picked up some dirt, fingerprint or scratch.
  12. Atma*

I CANT belive I didn't think of that..Thank you..Thank you..it cost 30$ for the freakin cleaning thing..but i guess it was worth it. for 30$ I coulda bought two new copies of jk2..that is if i could find them..it's getting quite uncommon.
    ..Thank you all for your input and help.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.