Serious Sam 3 pirates are hunted by a merciless mutant scorpion

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Serious Sam is notorious for its insanely over-the-top FPS experience, but pirates are getting a little more action than they bargained for. Instead of forcing legitimate players to jump through extra hoops, Croteam has unleashed a relentless foe to torment the living hell out of pirates. Folks with illegal copies of Serious Sam 3: BFE are greeted by a ruthless invincible mutant scorpion that spawns on the first level. It can't be outrun or outgunned, and it certainly can't be reasoned with, to steal a line from The Terminator. There is no escape:

The latest version of Serious Sam uses Steamworks for DRM, but as usual, that hasn't prevented cracked versions from surfacing on torrent sites. And while the devilish arachnid might spoil the fun for some unwitting pirates, you can bet it will be removed from a future cracked version. Probably sooner rather than later, unfortunately. Nonetheless, gamers have praised Croteam for its humorous approach to thwarting unauthorized players -- though it's not entirely unique. Plenty of developers have deployed similar antics in the past.

Earlier this year, Garry's Mod creator Garry Newman introduced a bogus error designed to appear on illegal copies of his game. Upon seeing the message, pirates sought assistance on the Steam forum. Little did they know, the error contained their SteamID. Thousands of illegal players were tricked into revealing their identity and were presumably banned, but humiliated at bare minimum. "If we leave it easy for people to pirate we're betraying the people that paid," Newman said at the time. "I'm just having fun at the pirates' expense."

Permalink to story.

That's hilarious! However, from what I understand and unfortunately, the pirate community has already removed the scorpion from stolen copies.

GTA4 had a similar approach, if it was a hacked game, the character would be drunk constantly, and the game thus unplayable.

I can just imagine someone dying over and over cursing the developer, then finally doing a Google search to find a way to beat him, and the first link they see is, "Serious Sam 3 pirates are hunted by a merciless mutant scorpion."

hahaha

nice one, and how dumb of the thousands who sought help on the forums lol

+1 Julio
But instead of having just one such monster at one level, it would be ideal to have these surprises for each level, at least it will keep pirates busy for a much longer time ;)

TomSEA said:
That's hilarious! However, from what I understand and unfortunately, the pirate community has already removed the scorpion from stolen copies.

Inevitable, and Croteam knew this.

Instead of spending a pretty penny on crappy DRM, they coded an invincible monster to harass you.

Ubisoft should make it so if you pirate Assassin's Creed 37: The Return of the Vengeance of the Resurrection of the Revelations of Snoop Dogg and Tupac, every time you try grabbing unto a ledge, you'd automatically slip. Then in their next installment of the Splinter Cell series, "Splinter Cell 55: Felonious Fantasy of Sam Fischer Jr.", they could have certain parts where you fall through the floor inadvertently. If they need new ideas, they could simply look to Bethesda and check out all their hilarious bugs they never fix.

ramonsterns said:
If they need new ideas, they could simply look to Bethesda and check out all their hilarious bugs they never fix.
Brilliant.
I'm happy to see that more and more developers are taking the approach of "DRM is hurting our paying customers" and messing with pirates instead. Oh the joys of dealing with limited-number activations...
I used to be one of those pirates, but Steam has essentially cured me of this with their too-good-to-pass-up deals and such.
Go Croteam!

BF2 bad company had a Gimbal lock on the mouse in pirated copies so at one point you end up looking at the sky in circles

vanquisher23 said:
ramonsterns said:
If they need new ideas, they could simply look to Bethesda and check out all their hilarious bugs they never fix.
Brilliant.
I'm happy to see that more and more developers are taking the approach of "DRM is hurting our paying customers" and messing with pirates instead. Oh the joys of dealing with limited-number activations...
I used to be one of those pirates, but Steam has essentially cured me of this with their too-good-to-pass-up deals and such.
Go Croteam!

I was in a similar boat, but spotify/netflix/hulu/steam there's really no POINT to pirate anymore.

Whats just as bad as piracy and gets little mention...$60 games that dont work and need either gigabyte patches or multiple patches. $60 games with horrible tech support! I will vote for a new law that wipes out piracy but in the same mention make game companies produce quality games worth the asking price.

jetkami said:
Whats just as bad as piracy and gets little mention...$60 games that dont work and need either gigabyte patches or multiple patches. $60 games with horrible tech support! I will vote for a new law that wipes out piracy but in the same mention make game companies produce quality games worth the asking price.

And it will never happen. I predicted this sort of thing would happen if MW2 got away with selling at $60, and it did. Not soon after EA, Ubisoft, and Bethesda thought their games were flawless and they deserved an extra $10 for each copy.

To our dismay, they didn't do much to improve their games, so what we got was in increase in price and none in quality.

(See: Dragon Age 2, RAGE, Skyrim, etc.) Argue as much as you want about how much fun you had with these games, the amount of bugs and general lack of polish for these games does not justify full $50 price, much less $60.

hello ...

this is a great approach indeed, but gave a feeling most developers are releasing buggy versions that need several patches to make it right, yet the pirates are still finding ways, all i wish for them is to find a job & they don't get paid for it @ least once then they may understand ... yet i lost hope long ago ... i'll stick to my proud original games, movies & music to support my favorite dream makers while doing so I DO find the money for this & even more ....

cheers!

A splendid approach to anti-pirate activity. More game developers should add no-fun objects like this one, preferably at the very end of the game :) - That would be hilarious.

Hackers will always find a way to beat these ridiculous developers and their over-inflated egos, and ridiculous prices/fees, etc. Look at skyrim, they released a game knowing full well it was broken in almost every way imaginable. The developers don't care about the general public, they just want your money. So I say yay to you hackers, fix the problems that they won't. Long live the users!

Back