Serious Sam 3 pirates are hunted by a merciless mutant scorpion

By Matthew
Dec 8, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Serious Sam is notorious for its insanely over-the-top FPS experience, but pirates are getting a little more action than they bargained for. Instead of forcing legitimate players to jump through…

Read the whole story
  2. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,520   +311

Great approach IMO.
  3. Butch

Butch TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 112

Good Stuff...
  4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,329   +377

That's hilarious! However, from what I understand and unfortunately, the pirate community has already removed the scorpion from stolen copies.
  5. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 825   +212

Genius.
    I love it.
  6. GTA4 had a similar approach, if it was a hacked game, the character would be drunk constantly, and the game thus unplayable.
  7. Nice, but pirate scum will always find a way around it.
  8. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TechSpot Booster Posts: 956   +96

I can just imagine someone dying over and over cursing the developer, then finally doing a Google search to find a way to beat him, and the first link they see is, "Serious Sam 3 pirates are hunted by a merciless mutant scorpion."

hahaha
  9. nice one, and how dumb of the thousands who sought help on the forums lol
  10. Eddo22

Eddo22 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 149

Serious Sam isn't worth pirating imho.
  11. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,038   +72

+1 Julio
    But instead of having just one such monster at one level, it would be ideal to have these surprises for each level, at least it will keep pirates busy for a much longer time ;)

12. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Inevitable, and Croteam knew this.

Instead of spending a pretty penny on crappy DRM, they coded an invincible monster to harass you.

Ubisoft should make it so if you pirate Assassin's Creed 37: The Return of the Vengeance of the Resurrection of the Revelations of Snoop Dogg and Tupac, every time you try grabbing unto a ledge, you'd automatically slip. Then in their next installment of the Splinter Cell series, "Splinter Cell 55: Felonious Fantasy of Sam Fischer Jr.", they could have certain parts where you fall through the floor inadvertently. If they need new ideas, they could simply look to Bethesda and check out all their hilarious bugs they never fix.
  13. Vanquisher23

Vanquisher23 Newcomer, in training

Brilliant.
    I'm happy to see that more and more developers are taking the approach of "DRM is hurting our paying customers" and messing with pirates instead. Oh the joys of dealing with limited-number activations...
    I used to be one of those pirates, but Steam has essentially cured me of this with their too-good-to-pass-up deals and such.
    Go Croteam!
  14. isamuelson

isamuelson Newcomer, in training Posts: 96

Funny and great. Of course, it means it will get cracked again, but still, I love it. Too funny.
  15. BF2 bad company had a Gimbal lock on the mouse in pirated copies so at one point you end up looking at the sky in circles
  16. tehbanz

tehbanz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

I was in a similar boat, but spotify/netflix/hulu/steam there's really no POINT to pirate anymore.
  17. jetkami

jetkami Newcomer, in training Posts: 99

Whats just as bad as piracy and gets little mention...$60 games that dont work and need either gigabyte patches or multiple patches. $60 games with horrible tech support! I will vote for a new law that wipes out piracy but in the same mention make game companies produce quality games worth the asking price.
  18. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

And it will never happen. I predicted this sort of thing would happen if MW2 got away with selling at $60, and it did. Not soon after EA, Ubisoft, and Bethesda thought their games were flawless and they deserved an extra $10 for each copy.

To our dismay, they didn't do much to improve their games, so what we got was in increase in price and none in quality.

(See: Dragon Age 2, RAGE, Skyrim, etc.) Argue as much as you want about how much fun you had with these games, the amount of bugs and general lack of polish for these games does not justify full $50 price, much less $60.
  19. Already cracked. So is the level 4 drm 'spinning heads'.
  20. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 515

hello ...

this is a great approach indeed, but gave a feeling most developers are releasing buggy versions that need several patches to make it right, yet the pirates are still finding ways, all i wish for them is to find a job & they don't get paid for it @ least once then they may understand ... yet i lost hope long ago ... i'll stick to my proud original games, movies & music to support my favorite dream makers while doing so I DO find the money for this & even more ....

cheers!
  21. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

A splendid approach to anti-pirate activity. More game developers should add no-fun objects like this one, preferably at the very end of the game :) - That would be hilarious.
  22. Hackers will always find a way to beat these ridiculous developers and their over-inflated egos, and ridiculous prices/fees, etc. Look at skyrim, they released a game knowing full well it was broken in almost every way imaginable. The developers don't care about the general public, they just want your money. So I say yay to you hackers, fix the problems that they won't. Long live the users!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.