Server 2003 VPN Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

zynizen

I just have a quick question, I have setup a VPN using RRAS and L2TP shared secret, etc. From the client computer it connects no problem, and I can access shared resources on the LAN like it's supposed to work. The only problem is when I connect to the VPN, my browser doesn't work, can't get external internet to work and copying files from outlook 2007 to a shared resource seems to lock outlook up.

I'm not sure if this has something to do with sending all traffic over vpn or not. Is there any steps I can take to quickly resolve this issue? This seems to be the only thing affecting the users at the office.

Thanks,

Is the VPN setup as a separate subnet example: if host 192.168.1.100 client 192.168.0.100.

Also depending on ISP and other possible settings you may need to use other DNS servers .

If so on the client try OpenDNS https://www.opendns.com/homenetwork/start/

Do this on the Client not on Server. Reboot let us know!

Mike

Well, the VPN is not on a separate subnet, it's statically assigned starting from: 192.168.1.150 to 200.

What exactly does openDNS do? also, would adding an internal search domain/dns server to the actual vpn connection settings help, I've tried that before and didn't seem to do much.

Thanks, will try this and report back.

If it works OK with the current IP setup after changing to OpenDNS only on the VPN connection the forget it.

OpenDNS Generic although supposedly more secure DNS use them instead of youe ISP's DNS.

You have the link read up it's pretty simple.

Mike

ok I tried numerous tests, and simply changing to openDNS's servers on both lan connection and vpn connection dns settings, everything works no problem.

I installed the openDNS updater to see if that would affect this as well, and it didn't matter. Very useful free resource though, thanks for the help!

problem has been resolved.

I doubt changing the LAN DNS made the difference!

Glad it resolved!

Have a great day,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back