Server Processor Vs. Desktop Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I want to build a new system, and I was wondering just what the differences between a sever processor and a desktop processor are.

Would I see gaming performance decrease by using a Quad Server Core or a Quad Desktop Core?

I wanted to build a dual socket server core and have 8 physical cores.

Thoughts?

I dont think any games are designed to take advantage of a dual socket setup. Windows Server OS's are designed to take advantage of dual socket setups. Some newer games are coming out which take advantage of single socket dual or quad core setups on desktops. A server based PC would not gain any performance for games IMO. You are better off investing the extra $ in a good video card.

Avoid the server-based processor because you will not as easily find support for them, and the games do not care. Get high performance, high quality motherboard, CPU, and Power supply and memory that the motherboard and operating system can handle.
Windows Server Operating boards and operating systems are designed (generally) for 24 hour operations and long-term reliability... not for the speed of a gamer.
Windows XP and most servers only handle 3.0 or 3.5 Gb of memory. Windows Vista and Windows 7 will handle a great deal more memory.

The only real differences is the micro-code that Intel/AMD puts in the cpus that make them more suited to server based tasks, the amount of cache, power saving features.

Server cpu's usually have a lower VID/TDP and some tend to overclock better and run cooler (ah the opty 185 days)

On the downside dual socket motherboards like your thinking about using need either ECC or FB RAM which is slower and generates more heat as well as carrying a price premium. Single socket server cpu's do not require this.

Now as far as gaming goes there should be little to no difference in performance, now if the application is programed to take advantage of more cores the preformance increase would be huge, but these days most games only use 2 cores.

Hope this info helps

For building a dual socket system you will have to use socket 771 CPU's, not the desktop socket 775 CPU's. Server versions of processors (socket 771) have 2 Front side buses or QPI's, so they can communicate with the hardware and each other. For gaming, 8 cores it just a waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back