Server will not find hard drive

By tbaink2000
Jan 5, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i have this old server i got on ebay.compaq proliant 800..it has a long cable inside withno drives on it,and the cabels looks too have a angle on it .not like reg cables that are boxed in looking..,,,i know im not a pc guy.lol.so were do i hook up a hard drive.[​IMG]

PROLIANT 800 Motherboard Settings and Configuration at- http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/C/COMPAQ-COMPUTER-CORPORATION-Pentium-Pro-PROLIANT-8.html

and this is what the cables kinda look like.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. tuant

tuant TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 256

What type of hard drives are you using? SCSI?
  3. JebediahTBone

JebediahTBone Newcomer, in training

That's a SCSI cable. Looks like the server takes a SCSI drive. As for where to hook up the drives, well, it's a little difficult for me to tell based on the picture, but it looks like spots #5 will be your best bet. Typically drives are installed on the front of the chassis.
  4. tbaink2000

tbaink2000 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

no,,,were on the motherboard do i hook the hard drive up.I SEE THE the cable has 7 open cuplings on it.and the drive i got that did not come with it is a quantum-viking 2.- 3.5 SERIES. PX9.1 LVD.AND WINDOWS XP LOADS UP .BUT WHEN IT GETS TO SEEIING THE DRIVE,,,,NO DICE.
  5. tbaink2000

how do i get into bios to put it all on auto.
  6. tbaink2000

the mother board

[​IMG]

Storage Controller
    Integrated Dual Channel Wide-Ultra SCSI-3 Adapter
    Note: The Wide-Ultra SCSI-3 Adapter supports Wide Ultra2/Ultra3 SCSI hard drives running at Wide-Ultra SCSI-3 speeds.
    Storage
    Diskette Drive 1.44 MB
    CD-ROM High Speed IDE CD-ROM Drive
    Hard Drives One of the following:
    9.1 GB Wide Ultra2 SCSI (running at Wide Ultra SCSI-3 speeds)
    None
    Maximum Internal Storage 109.2 GB (4 x 18.2-GB non-hot plug drive cage + 18.2-GB non-hot plug drives in removable media bays)

http://www.server-unit.ru/!guard/html/1984.html
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.