Service Pack 3 Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

kim190456

The first problem I have is I cannot turn automatic updates on even though my antivirus Mcafee says they are on.

Also I have downloaded service pack 3 for windows XP and ever since have been plagued with pop ups on IE 6. I attach pics of the pop ups I am getting.

Please help me.

Attachments

• SystemErrorFixer Fake Update Website Virus.JPG
    SystemErrorFixer Fake Update Website Virus.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 10
  • SystemErrorFixer IE6 Pop Up.JPG
    SystemErrorFixer IE6 Pop Up.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 9
scan your computer for virus and spyware it looks like your computer is infected. You can use SAS to remove it there is a link below download the free version update it and run it in safe mode. But make sure to perform a full virus and spyware scan not just this app you can have other infections as well

http://www.superantispyware.com/

also go to this link and follow the instructions and post back with a link to the new topic you create

http://74.55.96.66/vb/topic58138.html

kim190456 said:
The first problem i have is I cannot turn automatic updates on even though my antivirus Mcafee says they are on.

Also I have downloaded service pack 3 for windows XP and ever since have been plagued with pop ups on IE 6. I attach pics of the pop ups I am getting.

Please help me.

Eeek! You have IE6, you should have upgraded to IE7 or better yet got firefox. Need to download spyware terminator and let that do a full scan of your system. You might be plague with bad cookies, spyware, mailware, adware an etc.. McAfee can't catch everything.

Spyware Terminator Scan Log

Here is a log for spyware terminator. Still getting pop ups though

Attachments

• Spyware Terminator log 0057.txt
    50.1 KB · Views: 6
Service Pack 3 expects you to have Internet Explorer 7.0. That you are using IE 6 is likely part of the problem. When you have Service Pack one, you need IE 7 to do the updates...

kim190456 said:
Here is a log for spyware terminator. Still getting pop ups though

How come you don't upgrade the IE6? Have you ever tried Firefox it blocks popups and their are a lot of free plug ins for it too. If you want to keep IE6 then ad muncher but that's not for free. Other than that roll-back to SP2 and install IE7 or firefox.

Well, I am going to come at you with an entire different attitude!

First "System Error Fixer" is malware so you have to get rid of that.

Second, I discourage anyone from using the Automatic Update Feature. It is better to use either 'download but don't install' or 'don't download or install, notify me'> then Choose the Custom installation, see what the update is for, if you want it, if you need it, if it's appropriate for what's on your system.

Thirdly, IF you have gotten SP1, SP2 and the update since SP2, you do NOT need SP3. If you have those updates, go to the Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs> check 'show update'> uninstall SP3.

Fourth, you do NOT need IE7. If you like IE6 and it is working for you, KEEP it. IE7 was not put out as an update or upgrade for IE6- it is a new version. It was released ahead of it's scheduled release with Vista because of the popularity of the Firefox browser. Unfortunately, Microsoft did not allow users the choice and put it in the Automatic Updates.

If you have read anything about tabbed browsing and would like to try it, I can recommend Firefox. You can have IE AND Firefox.

So put your system through the malware cleaning, uninstall SP3 and keep IE6 if you like it.

raybay said:
Service Pack 3 expects you to have Internet Explorer 7.0. That you are using IE 6 is likely part of the problem. When you have Service Pack one, you need IE 7 to do the updates...
I just installed XP SP2 to one PC, it had IE6. I had no problems going to Windows Update site and install SP3. It didn't update IE, it was in the updates I selected after SP3 installation.

Kim post this in the security and the web section of the forum below is a link to that section post the 3 files you posted here but rename the hijackthis.log to hijackthis.txt do the same with the SAS and then post all 3 of them. I did a quick scan and it looks like your computer is still infected.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html

I have attached the files as requested. i am not having any problems but if you find anything let me know. Thanks Kim

The first issue is I see Norton and Mcafee both firewalls and both AV's. You need to pick which ever one you are subscribed to keep. Let me know and I will post removal instructions for the other.

Also, there are some infections still on there. In addition to what you have done, I am also going to suggest MBAM, then attach the log here.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please attach this log with your reply
    • If you accidently close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt

Also it found a lot in your cache so lets just completely clear it.
Manually clear cache

• Open a Windows Explorer folder window (for example, double-click My Computer).
  • From the Explorer menu select Tools | Folder Options | View. Make sure that you have checked the box next to "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".
  • Start Internet Explorer and click Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Settings | View Files.
  • IE should have opened up a folder window, typically viewing a folder with the name of C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files. Put your cursor in the Address area of the folder window and add the name \content.ie5 to the name, so in our example the Address bar would now read c:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\content.ie5.
  • You should see a series of folders with random eight-character names like ADOZMZS1. Delete each of these randomly named folders. You may get an error that some files are in use, this is normal if you are currently at a web site since those files are in the cache. Hold down the Shift key when deleting the files so they do not go to the Recycle Bin.

Service Pack £ Download

With regard to the firewalls. i do not use Norton at all. Infact i thought it was uninstalled. I use McAfee only. On that subject Mcafee expires at end of june is there another you can recommend that i could use that is free?

I attach the malaware log as requested.

With regard to your instructions for clearing the cache i followed your instructions and IE oprned a window but it just said cannot find.

Look forward to your reply.

Ok, it's looking better. Please go ahead an remove norton/mcafee

Norton use the link that daniel provided above for removal tool

Mcafee
Remove Mcafee products
1. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
3. Select the McAfee product.
4. Click Remove and follow the steps provided.
5. Download the Mcafee removal tool from http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
6. Click Save and save the file to your desktop
7. Make sure all McAfee windows are closed.
8. Double-click MCPR.exe to run the removal tool. (Vista users need right click and run as administrator)
9. Restart your computer after receiving the message CleanUp Successful.

------------------------------------------------------------

After removing them, and installing your new AV please update it and run a full scan.

-------------------------------------------------------------

After you do a full scan with your new AV. Please run an online scan and attach the results.

Run Kaspersky Online AV Scanner

Order to use it you have to use Internet Explorer.
Go to Kaspersky and click the Accept button at the end of the page.

Note for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble with the accept button of the licence, click on the Zoom tool located at the right bottom of the IE window and set the zoom to 75 %. Once the license accepted, reset to 100%.
  • Read the Requirements and limitations before you click Accept.
  • Allow the ActiveX download if necessary.
  • Once the database has downloaded, click Next.
  • Click Scan Settings and change the "Scan using the following antivirus database" from standard to extended and then click OK.
  • Click on "My Computer"
  • When the scan has completed, click Save Report As...
  • Enter a name for the file in the Filename: text box and then click the down arrow to the right of Save as type: and select text file (*.txt)
  • Click Save - by default the file will be saved to your Desktop, but you can change this if you wish.
Attach the report into your next reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back