TechSpot

Service Pack2 messed up my computer -- I Removed it and STILL have the problem

By Acemoose
Mar 15, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm using IE6, with an XP Home Operating system.

Everything was running smoothly until I installed XP Service Pack 2.

Then when I logged back on, and went on the Internet, opening web pages and doing my usual on-line stuff, I discovered that when I closed ONE window -- ALL my windows got blown away and I got the Grey Box that said "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem....and must close"

I "Remove"d XP2, and that didn't help. I then did a Recovery to just before
    I installed SP2 (there were no earlier Recovery points available), and THAT
    still didn't help. Then I had to reinstall my McAfee Virus Scan10, because it
    had been corrupted.

But even now, with (supposedly) all of the Service Pack2 Removed, I still have the same problem when I close one window on the 'Net-- if I close ONE Web page when I am on line, ALL the web pages still get blown away and I still keep getting that Grey Box "Internet Explorer has Encountered a Problem" message.

Now, all I can do is REDUCE each web page as I am thru working on it.

Bummer

What can I do?

There has to be a solution to this -- my Internet Explorer was working just Fine, until I installed Service Pack2.

2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

Welcome to Techspot!
    Did you run windows update a few times after you installed sp2?
    There are a number of update files for IE that must be installed completly. It takes about 3-4 visits to update, to get them when you first install sp2.
    If you did not ,I suggest you put SP2 back on and run MS update a few times. Especially since you still have the problem, what have you got to lose?

3. Acemoose

Acemoose TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 22

Yikes

How will I know which updates to install? I know Microsoft is more than ready to install a whole slew of them on my desktop.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.