Services.exe high CPU usage

G

g4mer

Title describes evrything. I don't remember that i had this proces before. It happens only on start. After couple of minutes it goes down to 0% CPU usage. It's really annoying because then my PC runs like crap. I'm not sure if it's a virus or something else. Would like to hear some advices.

OK. My OS is XP SP2. I'll run those tests as soon as i get home.

While you are at it switch on Auto Update, SP2 is wide open to attack as it is no longer supported by Microsoft, you need to be on SP3. If this problem is Malware that might explain how you got it.

Scanned with newest versions, both found nothing. I upgraded to SP3 couple of times, had bad luck with it and thats why i'm on SP2 now.

Maybe this question warrants antother thread, but what are the problems you are seeing going to SP3? Seems like you have to upgrade one way or another, crazy to still be on SP2...

I can't explain because i had different problems. It just works week or two and then i have to reinstall system becuase of some unusual errors. And it slows my pc down which is critical to me because i have crappy slow pc.

You need to be on SP3. With SP2 your system is unprotected. Whatever problems your are getting that slow down your system are unlikely to be caused by SP3, millions of people have it without errors. It is most likely due to your software or some minor hardware fault.

Please tell us what security software you have installed, anti virus, spyware and/or firewall.

Do you regularly use any kind of registry cleaner or windows defrag.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the original problem, I would now run system file checker. Click on Start and type sfc /scannow (include the gap before the /) and hit Enter. You will most likely get a message asking you to insert the XP disc.

The only hitch you may have with this is that your system is on SP2, if your OS disc is not on SP2 or higher it may not run.

This guide below will show you how to slipstream your Windows XP disc with service pack 3, you can then use that to complete the operation.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/Slipstreaming_Windows_XP_Service_Pack_3.html

It may also be worthwhile to run a disc check to check the health of your hard drive.

Click on Start then Run, type cmd in the box and hit Enter. Then at the prompt type chkdsk /r (include the gap) and hit Enter, you will then get a message asking if you wish to run this on a reboot, answer yes and reboot the PC, on restart the chkdsk facility will run, this may take up to an hour and might at times appear to have stopped, leave it to finish and observe any error messages.

I use Avira for AV and it's free version. Never had problems with it. For anti-malware i use Malwarebytes. Don't have a firewall. I have problems with viruses very very rarely so i don't use all that protection. For reg cleaners i use CCleaner, and Ultimate defrag for defrag. Found no problems with disk check and system file checker.
Upgrading to SP3 now...

OK, lets see how it goes after getting your system up to date.

I have just noticed something I should have seen before, you are using a SATA drive. Did you install SATA drivers when you installed XP or are you running the drive in IDE mode?

I can't explain because i had different problems. It just works week or two and then i have to reinstall system because of some unusual errors.

I could be be wrong here, for I probably am, but in my line of work when people hold back or give weird excuses as to why they don't upgrade "service packs" when it comes to their operating systems, to me, about 50% to 60% of the time it can only mean one thing........

genuine-advantage.jpg

I could be wrong, the guy's O.S. could be legit, but the non technical excuse as to why someone wouldn't take a free upgrade to make their system run better and be "up to date" is beyond me! :suspiciou

the non technical excuse as to why someone wouldn't take a free upgrade to make their system run better and be "up to date" is beyond me!
It's not better and I don't give a **** if its up to date or not. I'm not going to give you the proper technical excuse because I don't remember what errors I had year ago. Those unusual errors are probably caused by registry cleans and stuff I had many of them. Read the text in that green box

----------------
I finished installing SP3.
I don't have any SATA drivers. I just pluged those cabels in and installed XP. I'm runing the drive in SATA mode.

Attachments

• geniune.JPG
    geniune.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 8
g4mer, I will be glad to try and help you in the Virus and Malware Forum. I do not have enough information at this point, but the scans you run will give me additional information about the system.

If you can use this help, please start a thread here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html

You can use the same subject as you have here.

Please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

I did note that you have a dual boot on the computer with Win XP and Win 7. It appears that this high CPU usage is occurring when using Win XP- is that right?

Yes, no probs on Win7. I'm updating SP3 now and if still have that problem i'll make a new topic in Virus and Malware forum.

Okay. If you have any problem with the SP3 update, hold off until we check the system. If there is malware, it won't play nice with an SP update.

OK. I Installed SP3 and all of it's security updates. After that i looks like the problem was fixed. No more high CPU usage with that process. Thanks for help.

Your welcome.

If you get any other problems don't delete SP3, start a new thread and let us help sort out the problem.

To Zen: I don't know what your line of work is, but to accuse someone of having a pirated OS because they can't describe an error is way out of line! Yes, we do get users who pirate software- I see it daily in the Virus and Malware Forum.

But making this accusation based on nothing doesn't speak well of your ability to make an assessment.

g4mer, I am glad the SP3 solved the problem. I'm not sure why or how it did it though.

Back