Setting Up a Used Dell OptiPlex computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok ,here is the info run:
I bought a used OptiPlex desk top, I think it is a GX620
It did not have a Hard Drive in it, No CD-Rom, No Floppy drive.
Great monitor, key board and Mouse. I put in a 500 gig Sata drive.
Now that is it. How do I get Windows installed ? The USB port does not pick up on boot, I have tried a external CD-Rom, and a booting thumb drive. Nothing works.
I have ordered a CD_Rom from Dell but is will take 2 or 3 weeks to get Dell Production to ship it to me. Any ideas anyone ? I just hope the CD-Rom will work, I have never seen a connector like the one on this system mother board. A few friends told me it is because the CD is a slim line for a laptop and these do not have a normal IDE connectior on the MotherBoard.
Anyway, am I going in the correct direction. I Can get to the Bios set-up, I have checked everything out to the best of my knowledge. I even checked the HDD I added and it comes up as OK in the scan.

I just did not know if there was any super secret Dell things that were holding me back from installing my Windows and moving on.

Hey thanks for you time even if you just read thru this mess I posted..

Oh BladeRunner was my name 20 years ago when BBS's were the thing. That was when I knew way more than I should have about software and systems, But Lo I got old and my skills got dull. I still run across people that remember me, but I have forgotten..

Thanks

Oh BladeRunner was my name 20 years ago when BBS's were the thing. That was when I knew way more than I should have about software and systems, But Lo I got old and my skills got dull. I still run across people that remember me, but I have forgotten..

Thanks
That's where I came from too, they were the days ;)

Anyway, just wait for the CD or DVD drive to come

Is there a Service Tag # on the bottom/side?

Should be. Go to the Dell site and enter that and you should get all data re that comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back