Setting up LAN Network Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe LAN is the correct word for it. I have a Dell Latitude D630 and it came with Windows XP. Several months back, I put Linux on my laptop as a dual boot. My friend did pretty much everything, and apparently he reinstalled windows. Well, in the process my LAN (Or is it Ethernet) connection disappeared. I assume I'm missing a driver, but I don't know anything about which driver, or how to install drivers. Basically what happened is my Network connections only have Wireless connections, and my laptop does recognize when I plus a cord into it for internet. The wired connection DOES work in linux.

Because my university has free WiFi, I didn't make a big effort to fix this problem, but now that I am home for the summer I have uses for a wired connections.

truimagz(dot)com/hosting/scornic/Private/NetworkConnections(dot)jpg

Any ideas? Just searching the Windows Driver site won't work for me. I tried that, I don't know the difference between the drivers.

You have to search the Linux sites for the brand and version you installed, or search the website of the brand and model of Ethernet/cable modem you installed to get the correct driver.
There are no Linux drivers for some models of Network or Cable Modems... So you may have to buy a new one that you know has Linux drivers available.

First, at home, you need the ISP connection (Adsl or Cable) via a Modem.

Adsl sometimes comes with WiFi, sometimes not.

Regardless, this is the better way to setup your LAN
Code:
modem--Router/WiFi----wired connections
          |
          + ....... Wireless Connections
Your system be they Windows, Mac OS X, Linux ... need the correct driver for
the hardware installed on your systems and have nothing to do with anything
outside your box. Ethernet (ie wired) connections need the driver for your NIC card.
WiFi connections need the driver for your PCMCIA, onboard adapter, or USB WiFi adapter.
The software protocol (not the hardware) makes the connection to the
Wifi-Router. That means (once you have the right drivers, it is only a configuration issue to connect to the "available ISP".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back