TechSpot

Setup Thunderbird, anyone?

By mephisto_007
Oct 14, 2005
  1. Ok, I know this might be the foolish/noobish question I have ever ask...

I want to use Thunderbird (mail client base) and connect it to my yahoo mail, but I did not accomplish it...

I've went through the Account Wizard and follow the instruction but some I'm afraid I might have given the wrong Information on "Server Information" Section... perhap the reason Thuderbird didn't connect to my yahoo.mail and retrieve the mail I wanted...

So what do I have to fill in the "Server Information" which containing "POP" and "IMAP" Options... I'm lost, for I have never setup this before...

I've also notice, it didn't ask for any password? isn't that just weird?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

I believe you need the Plus service to get access to Yahoo! via POP3.

You get all the details you need from Yahoo! mail website.

3. mephisto_007

mephisto_007 TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 224

Is there any other mail server that support the use of Thunderbird, without paying extra? ie: Hotmail...

4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Plenty of free email-providers. Look for 'free email in xxxx' where xxxx is your country/state/city.
    Been with one (in Ireland) for 6 years and have yet to receive my first spam!
    Why don't you get Gmail from Google?

5. mephisto_007

Thank for the suggestion, appreciated... Do Gmail support the use of Thunderbird without paying extra services?

Anyway the question I haven't had the answer is where do I obtain the information from to fill the blank ie: (smtp.blahblah.com, and this POP thinggy, because if I do not fill this blank, it simply do not allow me to create the account in Thunderbird which in this case I can't use Thunderbird); I'm not sure if you'll understand what I'm tryin to get, but it real confusing when I have never setup this web base mail client things...

6. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Yes gmail has free pop support. And it has details on how to set it up. You can PM me your email address and I will send you an invite. In there you can set everything up how you need to.

7. mephisto_007

Thankx poertner_1274, I'm PMing you... :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.