Several MAC addresses (not mine) on Wireless Mac list

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I click Wireless Client MAC List in my Linksys BEFW11S4, I expect only to see the three MAC adresses that I have on my access list. I have WPA:TKIP enabled, I have changed the key. Still, there is a list of 7 different (but very similiar) MAC addresses showing up.

00-a0-f8-44-6d-9a
00-02-2d-59-e0-3d
00-a0-f8-44-6f-63
00-a0-f8-44-6f-ab
00-a0-f8-44-6e-2b
00-a0-f8-44-78-3d
00-a0-f8-44-74-d7

If I have restricted access, how are these people getting on, or is it some strange error? Better yet, is there a way to keep them off?

First.. start over from scratch..

you may already have someone on your network...

disconnect from internet..

reset router to default config.

hook in via a wired connection cat5...

configure router with wep and create NEW SSID.

enable mac filtering......
since the outside world already has your current mac addresses.. change them, its not hard to do in most cases..

once you have wep enabled, new SSID ( completely different from previous one being used) and mac filtering setup and new mac addresses.. get back online and have fun.....

give 24 hrs and check logs....

additional cfg ...

urbandragon said:
First.. start over from scratch..
once you have wep enabled, new SSID ( completely different from previous one being used)

also DO NOT BROADCAST THE SSID!
you will need to manually config your device(s), but it much harder for the avg person to break into and to have the key as well. They may see a signal, but not the ssid, and therefore give-up :giddy:

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but it corresponds to my problem. I have the same issue but with only one extra MAC address showing, my query though is that the IP address it shows for that MAC address says 0.0.0.0

Is that possible?, or is it some advanced hacker doing something clever.

I have just found this forum, and will go home and try the responses given above for resetting everything, but I just wondered in the meantime about the strange IP address

Any thoughts appreciated

Just turn on WEP/WPA, turn off SSID broadcasting & turn on MAC filtering & add your computer's MAC address in the settings so that it's the only MAC address that the router will accept.

Didou said:
Just turn on WEP/WPA, turn off SSID broadcasting & turn on MAC filtering & add your computer's MAC address in the settings so that it's the only MAC address that the router will accept.

I have done that. I have a laptop and another PC both connecting wirelessly, and a PC connected by Ethernet. 128 bit WEp is on, passwords changed, SSID broadcast disabled. I have put the MAC addresses of the 2 wireless clients into the filter and set it allow only those 2. Thos 2 are then the only ones that show up on the filtered list, but when I click on the "wireless client MAC list" at the bottom of that page, it still shows up 3 clients. My 2 and the one with an IP of 0.0.0.0
So I check the allow box next to my 2 clients and click save, but if I go back into the MAC client list, the third one is still there.

I can't work it out, but every now and again, my laptop can't pick up a connection, and neither can my wireless PC, until I go into the router admin page and play around with some settings. It's very strange and I am concerned about Mr 0.0.0.0 IP

Your router is either remembering all the Wireless clients it has ever seen or showing even those devices that haven't actually authenticated to WEP/WPA.
Or it's an evil wardriver/neighbour who has nothing better to do than hang around for days on end.

It it's the first, then a factory reset should clear out those entries if they bug you that much.

In the second case, it can be just a silly neighbour who doesn't know how to turn off the wireless card.

If you are using a router and if your house is right next to someone elses, then they maybe tapping into your network, its very easy to do, alos happened to our network for a utility try PC-cillin Internet Security 2006 ($39.99, 30 day free trial www.trendmicro.com ) this has wi-fi detection and it can scan your connection anywhere from every 5min to 60min then let u decide whether to let them stay on or "boot them off the network,and prevent them from coming back

hope this helps
AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back