Shared mem Video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRazz

My daughter recently gave me her old Sony Vaio and I don't know much about it. In any case, the system specs tells me it has 480MB RAM.

It also has an "internal" SIS 650_651_740 Video Card that "shares" the machine's memory. So I'm thinking that I actually have 512MB RAM on the Vaio with 32MB allocated to the Video Card. Since I'm somewhat technologically challenged, I have to ask does that mean that the Video Card has 32MB of mem?

The reason I need to know is that I want to buy a particular game and my system meets all the requirements except that the game calls for a GeoForce 2 card (or its equivalent).I don't know what they mean by "equivalent" but I'm guessing they mean the card should have at least 32MB mem. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks for reading thus far.

__JimRazz

could you list the game you want to play. most of the games make in the last 8 years, an onboard video card wont play.

It's called "Carriers at War" by Matrix Games and I believe it came out in 2007..

Right now I have Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 on the machine and I'm getting good frame rates and it's running pretty smoothly. That's why I thought "Carriers at War" might be playable but it's an expensive game ($50+) and I really don't want to chance it if my card can't handle it.
__JimRazz

Sorry your card will not be up to snuff for this game,you will require a stand alone card with min 256mg of memory.A good video card is always a sound upgrade to any machine regardless of your needs.
good luck and keep posting

if you could tell me the model of the Sony Vaio and how much you want to spend on a video card i can find you one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back