Sharing AOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious about this myself. I really don't think it is possible unless you get some sort of third party program. Using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing built into Windows) probably won't work. I say this because AOL really, really goes out of their way to make sure you can't do anything even as silly as changing settings, let alone share your connection.

The Internet server should probably be set to 192.168.0.1 on the network. The second computer can be whatever you'd like, as long as it is on the same domain.

That's how ICS works at least.

Originally posted by Rick

The Internet server should probably be set to 192.168.0.1 on the network. The second computer can be whatever you'd like, as long as it is on the same domain.

No the two machines do not have to be in the same domain, but they do need to be on the same subnet. the server's ip address will be 192.168.0.1 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 so anything from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254 would be fine (0 being the network address and 255 being the broadcast.) in any case you would just set the client machine to use DHCP because ICS has its own internal DHCP allocator, and I believe that you HAVE to use that. So don't set the address manually anyway, let DHCP do it.

Does any of this work with AOL? I don't know I will look but for years AOL has been notorious for not letting you do even simple basic things like this. They are a crap service provider and I would not use them if possible.

Here's the only info I could find:

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q230233
How to Use AOL with Internet Connection Sharing
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows 3.11
Microsoft Windows 95
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition

Summary
This article describes how to connect to America Online (AOL) 4.0/5.0/6.0 when you use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).
More Information
AOL 4.0
If you use different AOL accounts on multiple ICS client computers, use the AOL dial-up program to establish a connection to the Internet for each ICS client computer. You can use chat, messaging, and e-mail through your Internet connection.
Host and Client Computers
If you use different AOL accounts on an ICS host computer and multiple ICS client computers, use the AOL dial-up program to establish a connection to the Internet on the computer.
AOL 5.0/6.0
Using AOL 5.0/6.0 with ICS and Digital Modems (DSL, Cable, Etc.)
If you are attempting to use ICS and AOL 5.0/6.0 on a host computer that uses a network adapter rather than a modem to connect to the Internet, you may experience difficulty in establishing connections from client computers.

This occurs because by default, Windows 98 can only bind TCP/IP to four network adapters at once. The installation of AOL 5.0/6.0 creates five instances of network adapters:
Network adapter for the digital modem
Network adapter for the intranet
Dial-up adapter
AOL adapter
AOL dial-up adapter
You should probably not install AOL 5.0/6.0 on any host computer that is using a digital modem. Installing and using AOL 5.0/6.0 on client computers should work because they will only have four network adapters.

source: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q230233

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back