TechSpot

sharing AOL

By chocobogo_rct
Aug 18, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. is there a DNS address for AOL so I can share the connection on my network??

Cheers

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

I'm curious about this myself. I really don't think it is possible unless you get some sort of third party program. Using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing built into Windows) probably won't work. I say this because AOL really, really goes out of their way to make sure you can't do anything even as silly as changing settings, let alone share your connection.

The Internet server should probably be set to 192.168.0.1 on the network. The second computer can be whatever you'd like, as long as it is on the same domain.

That's how ICS works at least.

3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

No the two machines do not have to be in the same domain, but they do need to be on the same subnet. the server's ip address will be 192.168.0.1 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 so anything from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254 would be fine (0 being the network address and 255 being the broadcast.) in any case you would just set the client machine to use DHCP because ICS has its own internal DHCP allocator, and I believe that you HAVE to use that. So don't set the address manually anyway, let DHCP do it.

Does any of this work with AOL? I don't know I will look but for years AOL has been notorious for not letting you do even simple basic things like this. They are a crap service provider and I would not use them if possible.

4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Here's the only info I could find:

source: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q230233

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.