Sharing CD drive over network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technochicken

I am trying to share the cd drive on my desktop over my wireless network so I can install sotfware on my laptop that does not have a cd drive. I have tried going to the properties of the cd drive, and enabling sharing there, with no luck. I have also tried mapping a network drive on the laptop, by inputing the address shown for the cd drive on the desktop, which is \\Desktop\e, but it fails to find the drive. If I try to browse for an address to map a network drive, the laptop does not find my desktop or the cd drive. For that mater, when I go to Network places on either computer, neither of the computers see each other. My desktop is running Windows Vista, and the laptop XP, which may be what is causing the problem.

And by the way, I have tried using google to find a method :D

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

Do you have a workgroup setup? That's probably what you're missing.
Once you do that, the computers should be able to see each other, by default, when you click on the other pc's drive, you will only see the basic properties dialogue. If you set cd drive to share already, it will be accessible.
Let me know how you do :)

I've always had difficulty getting Windows machines to cooperate with accessing Vista (oddly enough Linux and OS X comps don't seem to have the problem). So if you don't get it fixed, a work around would be to make an image of the CD with something like ImgBurn and then install Daemon Tools (being sure to uncheck things you don't want installed with it) and then copy the ISO over by whatever means you want, and then mounting it with Daemon Tools.

I got it installed via images of the disks, but when I launch it a secureROM message tells me to insert the original disk. I turned on SecureROM in Daemon Tools, but still no luck. Thanks for the help anyways. I think it is a lost cause though.

I've always had difficulty getting Windows machines to cooperate with accessing Vista (oddly enough Linux and OS X comps don't seem to have the problem). So if you don't get it fixed, a work around would be to make an image of the CD with something like ImgBurn and then install Daemon Tools (being sure to uncheck things you don't want installed with it) and then copy the ISO over by whatever means you want, and then mounting it with Daemon Tools.

Isn't that overkill?? Unless you need to boot from the CD, i think it's typically sufficient to simply copy all the CD files to the local machine and then typically just run the setup.exe file. (if unsure which file to run, open the autorun file with Notepad and see which exe file the autorun file points to)

it would make your life much easier if both were on the same operating system, preferably vista as hardware sharing is as easy as pie

For a breife amount of time I actually did get the laptop to see my desktop over the network, but it told me I did not have permision to access it. After that, he laptop stopped detecting the desktop.

Some hints and links to help XP/Vista File Sharing (in general)
1. For initial testing: Turn off all your computer firewalls and reboot
> Firewalls are often an underlying cause of the problem
> BUT Disconnect from your ISP when testing with firewalls off
> After switching your firewalls off, REBOOT all your computers. Note that some firewall/LAN changes can take up to 12 minutes before being reflected in Windows Networking! (that's just the way it works!)
> /* EDIT*/ Once you see it works with firewalls off, you can troubleshoot it with firewalls turned back on

2) If you're also going to try to do File Sharing, some notes about: Vista Password Protected Sharing (PPS) vs Non-PPS
> XP's Simple File Sharing (SFS) is equivalent to Vista's non-PPS
> XP's non-SFS is equivalent to Vista's PPS
> Pretty confusing of MS to do that/use those terms, i know ;)
> If you set PPS on your Vista "server" for access by your XP "client" User Authentication is by user's Logon ID. Both UserID/Password for both client/server machines must be an EXACT match!
> If you set non-PPS for your Vista "server", the User Authentication is done using the Guest account. Make sure Guest is enabled and passwords for Guest on the server and XP client match

3) You'd be best to be sure you solve computer visibility issues before trying to debug access permissions
> Computers must be "visible"
> Then the server can "authenticate" a client request (by allowing remote logon by userid/password)
> Then the server can check access permissions of a request (based on access permissions associated with the userid used to authenticate the client request)

Also you might find this link helpful on mapping drives

/* EDIT */
One more helpful hint.. tho don't know it will apply in your case..
If you can set Local Policy on your "server" machine (i think only possible if it it runs XP Pro or Vista Business) you can turn on Local Audit Policy to Audit all Logons!(look for the audit events in Windows Event Security Log)
>> You can then tell if client machine is even getting to the point of trying remote logon for its request
>> You can see the userid client machine is using to attempt remote logon (e.g. is it using Guest or a user LogonID?)
>> You can see if the server allows or denies the client logon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back