TechSpot

Sharing ethernet - Do I need a ethernet hub?

By ehs1331
Jan 30, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quick question. Im new to here but looks like alot of intellegent people are on here.

I have a pc in my bedroom that receives internet via wireless adapter from the house next to me. my qustion is:

I want to connect 2 other pc to the one receiving the internet via the wireless adapter. I know i can connect 1 pc via ethernet cable, I have done that already. but how do i get it to the 3rd pc. can I use a ethernet hub?

connect a short ethernet cable to the main pc with internet and connect the cable to the input on a hub, then run 2 cables out of the ports on the hub to the 2 other pc?

Hope this makes since to anyone.

Thanks for any help.
  2. coolermaster

coolermaster TS Rookie Posts: 27

ok, first off, on most tech support forums "borrowing internet" from your neighbour is
    frowned upon :)

As for your question, if you are connecting two more pcs, they BOTH would need wireless adaptors of their own to receive a quality signal.

(your neighbours signal could be very much degraded though)
  3. ehs1331

ehs1331 TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks for the quick answer. It is my mothers house and i pay for her to have it. I would steal a signal from any other person :) the problem i have is the other 2 computers at th opisite end of the house can not pick up the signal with a wireless adapter.

Thanks for the help.
  4. coolermaster

There are all sorts of devices on the market that claim to "boost" the signal but alot of these don't work.

I think the best way of going about this would be to

a) make sure the router is a quality device such as the D-Link 655 or the
    more expensive DrayTek Vigor range of wireless routers

b) relocate the wirless router in the adjacent house - closer to yours i.e put it in a room that is closer to your house.

c) If the computers are desktop PCs - make sure you use a wireless PCI adaptor with an ultra high-gain antenna.
  5. coolermaster

6. ehs1331

ehs1331 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank u coolermaster. I have tried adding a high gain antenna to my 3rd pc that is out of range from the adjacent house, but it made the reception worse. it was about a 2 ft. fibergalss model high gain. Oh, I also have a metal roof, which cause signal loose. Thats why I hve been checking into ethernet cable going to the other 2 computers.

I will read your link and see what else i can find.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.