Sharing ethernet - Do I need a ethernet hub?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question. Im new to here but looks like alot of intellegent people are on here.

I have a pc in my bedroom that receives internet via wireless adapter from the house next to me. my qustion is:

I want to connect 2 other pc to the one receiving the internet via the wireless adapter. I know i can connect 1 pc via ethernet cable, I have done that already. but how do i get it to the 3rd pc. can I use a ethernet hub?

connect a short ethernet cable to the main pc with internet and connect the cable to the input on a hub, then run 2 cables out of the ports on the hub to the 2 other pc?

Hope this makes since to anyone.

Thanks for any help.

ok, first off, on most tech support forums "borrowing internet" from your neighbour is
frowned upon :)

As for your question, if you are connecting two more pcs, they BOTH would need wireless adaptors of their own to receive a quality signal.

(your neighbours signal could be very much degraded though)

thanks for the quick answer. It is my mothers house and i pay for her to have it. I would steal a signal from any other person :) the problem i have is the other 2 computers at th opisite end of the house can not pick up the signal with a wireless adapter.

Thanks for the help.

There are all sorts of devices on the market that claim to "boost" the signal but alot of these don't work.

I think the best way of going about this would be to

a) make sure the router is a quality device such as the D-Link 655 or the
more expensive DrayTek Vigor range of wireless routers

b) relocate the wirless router in the adjacent house - closer to yours i.e put it in a room that is closer to your house.

c) If the computers are desktop PCs - make sure you use a wireless PCI adaptor with an ultra high-gain antenna.

Thank u coolermaster. I have tried adding a high gain antenna to my 3rd pc that is out of range from the adjacent house, but it made the reception worse. it was about a 2 ft. fibergalss model high gain. Oh, I also have a metal roof, which cause signal loose. Thats why I hve been checking into ethernet cable going to the other 2 computers.

I will read your link and see what else i can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back