TechSpot

Sharing Internet connection w/ 3G broadband card

By dadlives2
Jul 17, 2008
  1. Greetings from NYC ........

I replaced my ancient laptop w/ Dell M4300 with ATT 3G B/B - Dell 5520 card. Laptop and 3G are working great; excellent speed in NYC area!

I wanted to setup a ICS configuration for several other wireless laptops but can not get connectivity to internet from "client" workstations; M4300 works fine and connects to ATT "cloud" but other workstations can not resolve DNS, etc.

Used the Wizard ... no help; configured the system manually ... no help; tried hard-wired clients through mini-switch ... no help; tried direct connect to client workstation w/ X-Over cable ... no help.

Tried every combo of firewall on/off settings I could imagine ... no help!

I have done this succesfully in the past with older "air cards" w/ CDPD. Worked fine but slow; I was expecting a speedy, portable, wireless mini-network w/ the 3G card.

Anyone know if ATT or Dell defeat the ICS feature on the newer 3G cards / connections?

Any work-around?

Your help is appreciated

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

This implies a network looking like
    Code:
    modem---system---system---system--...
    Not cool at all :(
    Get a 4-port wireless router and you can have
    Code:
    modem---router
                |
                + --- system
                |
                + --- system
                |
                + --- system

some wired and several wireless. You'll be much happier :)

3. dadlives2

dadlives2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

3G Broadband

Mr. B:

Thanks for the reply; I was hoping to configure the laptop to be a "mobile wireless router" by using the onboard 3G card as the "WAN" side and the onboard 802.11G Wi-FI as the "wireless LAN" side.

Any further insight to the solution?

regards, dadlives2

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

You're not the first to attempt that approach. However, the WiFi cards in our systems
    are basically receivers and they receive from a router that is the sender :)

~ $49 U.S.D will get you a usable WiFi router -- I'm sure any brand will do, but
    be advised that using a Belkin router with other vendor WiFi adapters has been
    "unpleasant" in the encryption area.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.