Sharing my printer wirelessly (Please help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a wireless broadband router, I'm connecting to that with a wireless laptop and a pc via a wireless dongle. Id like to share my printer (connected to the pc) with my laptop.. can I do this wirelessly as well? Or do I need even more hardware?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Yes you can share it without any additional hardware. Just share the printer, then on the other computer(s) add it as a printer. The only catch is the computer that is sharing it will have to be powered on for it to work.

My laptop and pc arent networked to each other, when I try connect them, they disconnect from the broadband router, is there a way to network the pc laptop and broadband router at the same time?

Yes you can ....

Printer is that USB?
You can connect the printer to the USB port of the desktop PC.
Go into printer and fax right click on your printer then click on sharing. Give it game HPC100 and that's it..

Now on the wireless laptop click on start then on run:

type: \\computer name or ip address of the pc that has the printer connected to it..

example: \\mydesktop1000

Now your shared printer HPC100 should show up.
Right click on HPC100 then you'll see a drop down menu
There is a word "CONNECT" click on that then okay
Once that is done the printer is now setup on your wireless laptop..

Thanks very much!!

When I try link my pc to the laptop it disconnects from the router, same goes with the laptop. Tried your solution tipstir, but got a network error message... I thought the pc had to act as the hub for all to connect?

What is described above works best on small networks of two computers plus one printer.
Does your printer have an RJ45 port? Better yet, what printer are you trying to connect.
There are print server devices you can add to your printer... not cheap... about $30 to $60 depending... but worth it if you are serious about this. Then you set everything up in MyNetwork Places, give the printer and IP address.

I have had all my printers networked for years... but I used a print server whether wireless or wired.

the printer is an hp psc 1310 series, it has a usb port on it... so i could probably plug a dongle into it. Why can my laptop only connect to one wireless network at a time?

Do you know other computers that can connect to multiple networks at a time?
Once the printer is on the network, or the printer is connected to a computer on the network, and you have the system properly setup so that all devices are named and known, there should be no trouble. You may be missing a few steps that would be too long to post here, but there is plenty of poop availbable with a Gurgle search...
If the wireless unit is appropriately connected with the correct install software, and everything is properly identified, then what you want to do should work effortlessly.
You should be able to see all your networked components in your MyNetworkPlaces, with the printers also listed.

Hmm.. I'm starting to sound like a broken record... sorry... the way I'm used to everything working is that the pc acts as the server... connected directly to the hub, and wirelessly (va the hub/router) to everything else... that way I get to see all the comings and goings of the network... but with the router acting on its own, I can make everything talk to it, but can't get them talking to each other through it.

So the hub has a wireless antenna.

But there are a lot of other questions. What security system do you use... WEP or WPA? What sort of firewall do you have on your system.

I think your HUB is not the right type, or is incorrectly setup. Your hub is allowing wireless, but it is not allowing your computer to be a server, and it is possible that your provider selected it so that you could not do that. You need a different setup. I would first call your ISP provider for advice... then look at the manual for that router/hug... and look also at the online manual for that hub... and determine if there are available downloads.

YOU CAN NOT USE A HUB; you need a router for multiple systems attached to the internet.

if your printer has an RJ45, then it too needs an IP address and the hub can not provide one.
If you use the USB attachment instead to one of your systems, the the printer is just another shared device.

this is a standard connection wiring;
Code:
modem---router---all.systems.and.network.printer
this is an alternative but it requires two NIC cards in systemA and there's no third device!
Code:
modem---systemA---systemB

If it has an RJ45, then it has an IP address... very difficult to find, sometimes, but is in the datasheet section of the manual or user guide that comes with the printer, which you can also download.
If it uses an attached port such as an HP JetDirect, there will be a way to setup the IP address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back